Love is a DJ *Working Title*

“Ida, what are you doing? Today’s been too much, you shouldn’t have to spoiled me with lunch and the gift was lovely,” Frankie said as the girls made it to their house. Her key was barely turned, and she was barely in the building when her other two housemates yelled ‘suprise’. She was surprised, due to the lovely nature of the house. There were banners in the kitchen as well as balloons, a small stack of presents sat in the corner and there was a medium sized chocolate cake waiting on the table.  

“Oh you guys, you shouldn’t have,” Frankie said as she scanned the display, impressed with the work Hector and Oscar put into the room. After a rousing chorus of happy birthday, and some cake and wine the four housemates sat down and opened presents. There was one from each of them, and one that was a present from all of them. There were a few other presents as well, a card and fifty dollars from her mother and father, of whom she barely talked to. Another present was from her friends at work, it was a lovely vinyl player, one that would turn her vinyls into CDs, this was a good thing, as her player didn’t work anymore. The final present from all of them was a telescope, that wasn’t something she expected, in fact she had been saving for one since the beginning of the year, it was June and she wasn’t even close to buying it, but her friends had pitched in and gotten her something lovely. There was nothing more exciting than her new telescope, she had had one when she lived at her old place but sadly it had been cruelly taken away from her. She looked at the clock and noticed the time.

“Ooh, guys, I have to go to work now, but thank you guys so much for what you have done today,” Frankie said as she went upstairs. to get ready. Within a flash she was gone and her three housemates cleaned up the decorations and what was left of the cake.

“I’m glad she liked the telescope,” Oscar said as he placed the cake in the fridge, Ida was taking the streamers down and Hector was outside popping the balloons.

“Did you hide the other present that came for her?” Ida asked Oscar, Hector had come back in at that point. Both men looked at each other.

“We threw it into the bin, he doesn’t deserve to get presents from him,” Oscar said.

“I would have thrown it into the neighbours bin to be honest, get it as far away from Frankie as possible, what was it?” Ida asked.

“A necklace, with a heart on it,” Hector replied.

“Ew,” she replied.

“Ew indeed,” Oscar mumbled under his breath.

***

The next afternoon Hector and Frankie were setting up the telescope, ready for an evening’s watching.

“So, how’s things?” she asked him as they tightened some screws.

“Oh, not much, on another late shift tomorrow night, twelve hours, it’s going to be extremely painful. The worst bit is it’s in the maternity ward, so tomorrow night is going to be full of screaming newborns.”

“Oh, that sounds really unpleasant, not to be offensive…”

“No, it’s fine. I signed up for it really, I don’t mind but twelve hours is just pushing it for me.”

“I can understand, although I only work close to twenty one hours a week…”

“Don’t rub it in, but I’m sure that there is a lot more that goes into radio production than just doing shows. You spend a lot of time preparing,” he replied.

There was a few minutes of silence as they put they last pieces together.

“Anything else in your life Hector?” Frankie asked, trying to be as coy as possible.