Chapter 32

The morning sun shone through the cracked curtain, heating up Merida's chilled skin. She stretched her arms and tightened her hold on Rapunzel.
"Good mornin' beautiful." She kissed her forehead and pulled the blanket over their torsos.
"Mm" Rapunzel moaned and spoke in a raspy morning voice, "I can't wait for today." A smile crept across both of their cheeks as she buried her face in Merida's chest.
"Excuse me, your highnesses. I've finished your dresses, if you'd come they them on that'd be great." The tailor cracked the door open as she covered her eyes to give them some privacy.
"We'll be down in a moment." Merida groaned, pulling the sheets over her head.

The tailor directed them into separate dressing rooms and scurried off to collect their dresses.
"She knows we have the same parts right? Why separate rooms?" Merida shouted through the thin walls.
"Because mines a surprise remember."
"Oh right. I don't see why though, ya look beautiful in anythin." She slumped down onto an ottoman and twisted her hair. Servants entered their rooms and started primping the girls as the tailor helped them into the unaltered gowns.
"Um. I'm not really... Into this dress." Merida tried to hide her sneer as she turned in front of the mirror.
"Well, then it's a good this I have this." Her mother stepped through the door with a light wooden box.
"Ma? What's that?" She turned.
"It's mah wedding dress, Merida." Eleanor sat on the ottoman and opened the small chest. "I thought you might like to wear it."
"Oh ma.." Merida's eyes misted over and she brought her hands to her mouth. Eleanor brought the dress over to Merida and held it against her torso as they stood in front of the mirror. "I thought the blue one was your wedding dress." She questioned.
"No, your grandmother hated my dress, so she suggested a blue one for you. She was very big on tradition, seeing as blue meant purity and nobility; but I never liked the dresses she tried to get me to wear, so I stitched this one in secret."
"Ma, you... Broke tradition?" Merida blurted, shocked.
"I was a bit of a rebel too ya know."
Merida slipped the silk dress over her head, running her fingers across the green and gold embroidery. Eleanor entwined dainty white flowers into the back of Merida's mane, laying her back against the window to sun bleach her fiery curls. Her mother doused her in perfume and tied a green tinted sachet of herbs and potpourri around Merida's wrist.
"Ya look so beautiful, mah wee darling." Eleanor placed her hand on Merida's cheek.
A loud chiming of bells sounded throughout the kingdom. Everyone rushed to their places, ready to start the wedding.
The hall doors opened letting the triplets run down the aisle, tossing out orange blossoms and red posies left and right. Bagpipers in the corner started playing and Queen Eleanor softly sung in Gaelic, "A naoidhean bhig, cluinn mo ghuth, Mise ri d' thaobh, Ó mhaighdean bhàn, Ar rìbhinn òg, fàs a's faic, Do thìr, dìleas fhéin, A ghrian a's a ghealaich, stuir sinn, Gu uair ar cliu s ar gloire, Naoidhean bhig, ar righinn og, Mhaighdean uashaill bhan."
Merida turns the corner with her father on her arm, as they reach the arch of purple and golden lilies he let go, kissed her forehead and stood with his wife. Ice lined the rim of the ceiling like glitter, large snowflakes hung from the roof and dainty ice crystals strung around the throne. Violinists started playing as the bagpipes fizzled down, Queen Primrose started singing "..And it's warm and real and bright, And the world has somehow shifted, All at once everything is different, Now that I see you."
King Thomas escorted Rapunzel through the doors, her hair pinned up with flowers placed in the front, laced through her golden locks; a long flowing blue dress clung to her body, glittering in the light. She reached the arch and departed from her father.
"Bonnie.." Merida was stunned.
"I asked your mother about Scottish traditions, and she said brides were usually in blue. I thought you might like it." She smiled and her cheeks filled with a rosy color.
"Ya look beautiful." Merida held Rapunzel's hands.
"Today we are gathered to crown the new queens of Corona and Dun'Broch, and join two souls in perfect love." The priestess spoke loudly. "The highnesses wish to read their own vows."
"Punz. I fought hard years ago to make sure I wouldn't be wed to some prince I didn't love, and now that I know you, I'd fight to be wed to you. You're the most beautiful flower in the field, the only flower. You're the toughest princess I've ever met, and the daintiest warrior. I truly don't know what I'd do without ya, I love you and I want to be with ya forever." Merida placed a poppy from the boys flower basket in Rapunzel's hair.
"Merida, you broke into my tower, I thought you wanted my hair but instead you wanted my heart. You saved me and set me free, but freedom isn't anything without someone to share it with. I want to wake up to your burning red hair, your freckle covered cheeks and your strong arms around me, for as long as I live." She ran her thumb along the freckles on Merida's cheek, placing an orange blossom behind the redhead's ear. "You're my light, my dream; and, if you'll agree, my partner."
"For life and adventures?" Merida winked.
"Definitely."
The princesses slipped wedding bands on each others left hands and their parents placed the tiaras on their heads.
"I now pronounce you queens, and life long loves."
Merida grabbed Rapunzel's face and gave her the most passionate kiss she could muster.
"So! When's the feast?" Fergus clasped his hands together.
"Fergus!" Eleanor struck his arm.
"It's okay, I'm starving!" Rapunzel shouted.
"That's mah daughter in law!" Ferguson pulled the girls into a tight hug, picking them up and squeezing them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eleanor's song:  A mhaighdean bhan uasal (Noble Maiden Fair)
Part quoted: "Little baby, hear my voice, I'm beside you, O maiden fair, Our young Lady, grow and see, Your land, your own faithful land, Sun and moon, guide us, To the hour of our glory and honour, Little baby, our young Lady, Noble maiden fair"
Blue was traditionally the brides dress color because it then meant purity, now it's changed to white

Also sorry for RR Martin-ing the story by not writing forever🙏 please forgive.