One of the Nobles

"Kili!"

I swirled around, watching an arrow pass my head and hit a tree. My eyes widened and I continued running toward the city we just moved to. We had only arrived there yesterday, so I forgot the name. Anyway, I ran to Fili's side. "Why are they chasing us?"

"I don't know, but we must either hide or reach the city."

I glanced back and quickly ducked my head to avoid an arrow. "They're dead eyes. We have to get in between trees."

"Why didn't you bring your bow!?" Fili and I started running down a muddy hill.

"I thought there'd be no need for it like you said!"

There was a loud horse neigh, and my eyes widened. A black-hooded figure on a pony stopped on the road ahead of us. The figure aimed their cross bow, and I stopped, sliding in the mud toward the figure. I felt myself breathe again as I stared at the figure, realizing that its bow wasn't on me. Its bow was aimed at the men hunting us down.

One by one, swiftly and precisely, all ten of the men fell. I looked back at the figure in amusement. The figure looked down at me, and I could see some blond hair lightly tipping over its nose.

"We must head toward the city immediately. More are on their way. If we are in the city, they can mistake any dwarf for you."

My eyes widened. A female voice. "You're a female."

"Get on the pony!"

"Right!" Fili got on, and I did the same as him.

We arrived at the city as it rained. She stopped her pony under a bridge that connected two towers. Fili and I got off of her pony and stared at her in speculation. She got off her pony and opened a barrel next to the wall. She stopped and slowly turned to us.

"What is it," she asked.

"Why did you save us," I asked.

"You did nothing wrong and were blamed for something my friend did." She turned back to the barrels. "I was not going to allow you to die for something that filth did."

"But why hood yourself?" Fili stepped forward.

"Because I do not know if he followed me. I also do not want him to know that it was I that sent word that he stole goods from somewhere he should not have." She dug  throw the barrel.

I looked down, pursing my lips. There was something more to her that I was seeking. I looked at her. "Take off your hood."

She paused, straightening her back.

Fili looked at me with wide eyes. I smiled at him and turned to the girl. "You are safe here." I let out a small laugh. "There are enough dwarves here that you could be mistaken for anyone of them."

She stood silent. I could barely see her breathe as she turned to us. "I am not a dwarf." She removed her hood, revealing her blond hair and blue eyes.

My eyes widened as I gazed upon her beauty. She reminded me of a precious gem my mother said Thror's wife once wore.

She looked down. "My name is Bre Gwall, and I am a woman of man. I've been stuck on THIS earth since this brought me here." She looked down at the necklace she wore. "I believe it is also the reason I am your size rather than my own."

I stepped forward with a smile. "Is it not a lovely size?"

Bre paused and shrugged. "It only makes others mistake me for a dwarf. There is not much harm in that."

"Nor is there much harm in having some ale with us."

Fili raised a brow at me. "What?"

Bre smiled. "Perhaps some other time." She turned back to the barrel. "I am to go to Rohan. Much of my custom swords will be finished soon."

I risked a step closer. "One more night for it to wait won't hurt it."

Fili let out a small laugh and walked away.

Bre looked from Fili to me. "And of your brother?"

I grinned. "He knows how not to ruin fun." I held her hand. "Most female dwarves would give anything to be with a noble like me."

Bre blinked. "You're a noble?"

"An heir to a throne, in fact." I kissed her hand. "If I was not one, I could think of all the foul things any other dwarf would do to you. Of course, I'd like to do them with you, but a lady's heart comes before a foul desire."

Bre slowly smiled. "Yet you're asking me to drink ale?"

"Pardon that." I let out a small laugh. "That's the only way I know of a good time without a foul desire being achieved unless both parties agree." I locked my gaze with hers.

Bre let out a smile laugh and grinned. "I'm more than sure there is something that requires a good time without a bar."

"Speak it, and it will be done."

Bre smiled slyly. "How good are you with a bow? I want free dinner tonight."

I let out a small laugh. "Dwarves can always serve great feast. But for you, I will give the greatest."