Chapter 36

........

"Wipe them. Then put them on ice."

.........

     Before they could even realize what was happening, Rose and Bucky were torn away from each other. The surrounding guards rushed to contain them; and despite their violent attempts at escape, it was no use. They were being dragged out of the training room through the long, dark hallways - where their screams for each other echoed off the walls.

     Rose didn't exactly know what being "put on ice" meant, but she knew it was not good judging by Bucky's reaction. He was throwing himself at the guards, trying desperately to escape from their grasp.

     They were finally led to a part of the base they had never seen before. The metallic walls lining the area made it feel as if they were trapped inside a windowless dome. All the while, strange silver machinery and equipment glistened under the blue florescent lights, adding to the eeriness of the atmosphere. The room exuded coldness.

     Along the walls were what Rose thought looked like giant-sized fish tanks. She squinted her eyes to get a clearer vision of what was floating in the hazy water, and what she saw almost stopped her heart.

      What was floating in the water was not fish. It was humans. Frozen humans.

     The panic started to set in as she realized what "put them on ice" meant.

     She turned to the guards around them.

     "No...please..!" she begged.

     But nothing helped. She was being moved closer and closer towards the machine, and her fate seemed set in stone.

     Until Bucky broke free from his guards. He made his way over to the soldiers standing around Rose and punched his way through the wall of men.

     Before she knew it, Bucky grabbed Rose by the arm, breaking her away from her guards, and they started running.

     Out of the room, down the hallway, to the nearest window.

     She kicked an oncoming guard in the gut, sending him to the floor. Bucky snapped the neck of the nearest guard to his left, while Rose knocked out the guard on his right. Together, they made their way to a window and smashed the glass.

     They were out. Holding hand in hand, they were running towards their freedom.

     "Bucky..." Rose stopped.

     Bucky stopped to face her. Behind her, he could see guards making their way towards them, but they were a long distance away.

     "Is this the end?" She asked, exhaustion evident in her weak voice.

     Bucky reached out and cupped Rose's face in his hands.

     "We're free." he nodded, as he leaned in and tenderly kissed Rose.

     They both exhaled a sigh of relief as they continued running.

                                                And they ran, and ran.

      Until they lost control of their limbs and fell straight into the snow, unconscious.