Chapter 25

What seemed like hours passed by, and Rose was trying to compose herself from her previous meltdown. Embarrassingly enough, she let her guard down in front of Bucky, and she couldn't forgive herself for it. She looked weak, frail...everything she was taught not to be. Everything Hydra taught her not to be.

         But there was something about laying frozen in the snow with Bucky by her side, and something about the way he held her that wanted her to feel her frozen core melt. For a moment, she actually felt an emotion rather than anger. But she was so unfamiliar and scared of it, that she ended up rejecting it altogether. That, and the combination of Bucky's pity was what made her literally collapse in his arms. She was so not the damsel in distress kind of girl. But his large muscles were  very welcoming.

      That was besides the point. Bucky was right. She should have left; made a new life for herself. And that's exactly what triggered it. In that moment, she realized what she had become. She realized what had happened to her. Hydra had taken both her past, and now her future away from her.

         That's why she broke down. That's why she became vulnerable. Because deep down inside, she had become her worst fear. She became scared to live. And not Bucky, not Hyrda, not even God himself could make her the happy, innocent girl she was before all of this started.

        And that's  why she was currently laying face up in the snow, with Bucky next to her, holding her hand; as if him letting go would just crush  Rose's world. But secretly, she was thankful that he cared. Thankful that anyone cared. Because for the longest time, she was nothing but a prisoner.

"What were they like?" Bucky asked, removing Rose from her busy thoughts.

"What?" Rose asked, trying to come back to reality.

"Your family. What were they like?" He asked, rubbing his thumb across her hand gently.

Rose wasn't even sure she was ready to talk about it. It took her a while to even comprehend that they were gone, let alone accept it. But for some reason, she wanted to share with Bucky because he told her...trusted her....about Steve. She felt obliged to do the same.

"They were nice..." She started. She didn't even know where to begin.

"We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to." He said.

"No... I'm ready, it's just... I don't know where to start." She replied nervously.

"Did you have any siblings?" He asked.

" Yeah. One. His name was Alec. He was three years younger than me." She started, her voice gaining confidence as the memories flooded her with warmth.

"He was a jerk." She breathed out.

This caused Bucky to chuckle; something she had never heard before.

" I remember this one time... He followed my friend  Rachel to her house, and he would watch her get undressed through her window." She smiled at the memory.

"He was such a creep" she said.

"But he was also kind of a genius." Bucky said. 

      A roar of laughter erupted from Bucky, which made Rose start to laugh. The happy feeling engulfed her and soon enough, the two were laughing at absolutely nothing. Just laying in the snow, in the middle of the woods, laughing at absolutely nothing. If a stranger would have seen them, he would have thought they were mentally insane. But they didn't care. Because they were smiling; so much that their cheek muscles would be sore the next day. They felt... Normal.

      Bucky forgot all about his metal arm and felt human again, like the smooth talking gentleman from Brooklyn was back. Not completely, but it was a start. And he saw a change in Rose, too. She was willing to open up about her family, about her old life.... Maybe all she needed was someone to be there for her. And Bucky decided to be that person. Because she was right, nobody else went through what they did. They needed to stick with each other if they were ever going to get past it.

    How could he have been so stupid? How could he have fueled the fire on Rose's continuous rage instead of just trying to suppress it?

''Why are you still here?'' Nice job Bucky way to make her feel better', he thought to himself.

He was mentally face palming himself  when Rose started speaking again.

        "And my mother.... She was so kind. Always wanted to help other people." She smiled at the memory.

        "What was your father like?" Bucky asked.

      "Strict. But so full of love. They all were." She said sadly, and looked down.

      "They were great people. They didn't deserve to die." She said, but then got an idea. She sat up quickly, and turned to Bucky.

     "Bucky... we have to take down Hydra." She said seriously.

     "That's a little easier said than done..." he started.

     "I mean... think about it. How many more innocent people have to die before someone tries to stop them? If we start now, imagine how many lives we'll save." She said.

   "Rose, Hydra is one of the largest secret organizations in the world. It will take a little more than just two people to bring it down." He said, scratching his head.

  "We'll put together an army.." She insisted. But even Rose knew that it was no use. Hydra was an organization bigger than all of them. Bigger than two escaped prisoners, and definitely bigger than an army of Russian townsfolk.

     "I can't just sit around while people loose their lives." she said sadly, looking at Bucky.

     "I know." Bucky said, and wiped the tear rolling down Rose's cheek.

     "We will help. But first, you have to get better." He said, and stood up. He held out his hand to help her up.

"It's almost dark out. We should get back." He said.

   "Do you know the way back?" She asked.

    "Kind of." replied Bucky.

    "Well, this will be fun." Ruse muttered under her breath.

_________________________________________-

A/n:

   I'm getting so many amazing votes and comments and I can't thank you enough. That's what keeps me motivated to whip out more chapters! Speaking of which, I think I just got 3 chapters out in like 2 days. That has to be some kind of record. AND 4.2 k READS THAT'S UNREAL!!

    How do you guys like it so far? Shoot me a little comment, I'd love to hear your opinions.

    p.s... HOW EXCITED IS EVERYONE FOR CIVIL WAR?!?? I watched the trailer 147 times and counting. I'm so psyched, because my good friend Bucky ACTUALLY HAS LINES.

     p.p.s.... how does everyone like Jessica Jones? I didn't start it yet, but I'm planning to!

Wow. 2016 is gonna be a great year for marvel. So glad I get to be part of the fan base. And I'm so glad I have really amazing people reading my fanfic. It makes all the sleepless nights fighting through writers block actually worth it.

  I love you guys,

-L