Instead of It All

Luke was driving, having stolen yet another car. This time it was a Maserati Spyder, simply because Percy had told him once that that was his dream car. So Luke had meticulously scouted out cars, and looked specifically for not just the model but for one that was colored a shade of blue. It was Percy’s favorite color.

So what if he sounded obsessed. His brother was dying. He was going to do all he could for Percy.

“Percy, do you remember that I wasn’t supposed to be on this quest? That you were supposed to go with Annabeth and Grover? And you also know that I kind of just took you and left camp, right?”

Percy nodded, his excitement tempering once he saw how serious Luke was right then.

And then Luke began his tale, telling about how he’d run away at a young age, met Thalia, Annabeth, and Grover, being on the run, and everything about his life up to that moment with Percy. Including Kronos’ role in his life.

Percy listened patiently, and didn’t shout or scream at him afterwards. He merely just turned to face the road once more, but leaned against Luke comfortably.

“So, will you tell me where we’re going?”

Luke laughed and ignored the tears in his eyes.

‘Thank the gods for Percy.’

He turned the car to another lane and ignored the fact that he was heading in a different destination.

“You’ll see,” Luke murmured.

Some hours later, neither could tell, but they were in a city with large buildings and unlit light bulbs and Percy saw the sign.

“We’re in Las Vegas?”

Luke smiled, hiding the sadness until he could be alone.

Percy snorted, “Are you saying something?”

“What? Like planning on getting you drunk and all that good stuff in Vegas that you might not get to experience if you wait until you’re older?” Luke said innocently, though inwardly he winced at joking at Percy’s impending death, even with Percy himself preferring to joke about it rather than mope.

Luke drove to a liquor store, stole some alcohol, and then drove off to his destination. He smiled half in sorrow and half determination.

The Locus Casino.

Luke drove to a nearby parking lot and then grabbed their drinks before leading Percy into the casino, holding onto the younger boy’s hand. The closer they got, the tighter his hold became.

“We’re here,” he muttered.

Percy blinked up in awe at the casino, oblivious to Luke’s discomfort. Entering, Luke encouraged Percy to go play with the games as he went up to their room. Dropping the drinks onto the bed, Luke went to the bathroom and turned on the sink, watching the water flow. Splashing the water against his face, he stared into the mirror and just breathed heavily for a while. Then he moved and leaned against the wall before sliding down it to sit on the floor with his knees bent.

This wasn’t going to work. There was no guarantee this would work. But the Locus Casino was the best place to be to try, or at least the best place to have as much fun as possible.

The door opened and Percy came in.

“Hey, I thought you were going to enjoy yourself down there?” Luke asked with a small smile, knowing he looked exhausted.

“I did. I’d rather you were there too,” Percy grinned.

Luke was about to push himself up when Percy’s hand on his shoulder stopped him. He sat back down and Percy joined him