beginning

"tae, you're not eating again?"

taehyung shook his head, trying to ignore the look of concern on seokjin's face.

lunch at school was absolute shit now, because his friends had started noticing and they'd started worrying, but they didn't need to worry because taehyung was most definitely just fine.

right?

"i'm just not hungry, i'm fine."

you'll only be fine when you're skinny.

"you never eat with us anymore, tae," jimin whined. "you should see a doctor, this loss of appetite thing is getting ridiculous."

"yeah." taehyung laughed softly."

pathetic bitch.

he took a sip of water.

water: zero calories.

apples and celery had negative calories.

he could have had some of those. hell, he needed some of them. he was starting to feel a little dizzy.

you don't need anything to eat.

taehyung gripped at the hem of his shirt, pulling it down over his thighs. he was hungry, but the voice in his head kept telling him he wasn't.

he didn't know what to believe.

"hey, tae, you okay?" namjoon waved a hand out in front of him. "you keep zoning out."

"oh, yeah. i'm okay. yeah."

he stood up.

he didn't feel well.

he felt nauseated every once in a while; when he couldn't stomach the food or he was feeling anxious or it'd been too long since he'd last eaten (which, in taehyung's opinion, was ridiculously masochistic of his body to try and throw up the non-existent food in his stomach).

it felt like a combination of all three today.

"where are you going?"

"bathroom."

he didn't even have time to check for people in the bathroom before he threw up.

fuck, he didn't even throw up. he more like dry heaved and spit into the toilet bowl for a few minutes.

he didn't even know what he was trying to throw up.

it'd been days since he'd last eaten anything.

the nausea left his throat eventually, and taehyung flushed the toilet and sat back against the left wall of the stall he was in, exhaling and deflating and letting himself breathe again.

he'd found that he wasn't very good at breathing.

some old woman had come in during his algebra class once, telling them all to breathe and forget and just fill their stomachs with air and let it all out slowly. she had called it "mindfulness" and said it would help with stress.

he'd tried.

but he found that he was awful at it; that he felt lightheaded when he didn't breathe in and out quicker.