Chapter 2: By Chance Encounters

“Hey Elizabeth, get your lazy bum up!” The sound of a loud voice next to Elizabeth’s ear sent her into a rather rude awakening as she jumped in surprise and ended up falling onto the hard floor of her dorm room, which was rather cold considering they were in the middle of fall.

“Blimey!” Elizabeth shouted as she jumped back into her bed, wrapping herself in the warm blankets that laid on it. “The floor’s bloody freezing!”

A laugh came from the far corner of the room, causing Elizabeth to dart her eyes over in the direction it had come from, only for them to meet the coffee brown hues of her best mate Ariel; her long dark brown locks flowed down her back, the light hitting her hair to where it appeared almost black, but lovely all the same. “Well, if you woke up when you were supposed to I wouldn’t have to wake you up so harshly, mate.” She responded jokingly, a warm smile dancing across her lips as she looked at Elizabeth.

Elizabeth frowned slightly at her friend, before her lips played into a gentle smile. “I guess you’re right.” She said as she stood from her bed, and went to get dressed.

Ariel chuckled softly as she sipped at the warm cup of coffee her hands were clasped around. She stared out the window as the sun peeked through the clouds slightly, its warm glow hitting gently on Ariel’s olive colored skin. “It’s nice out today Ellie.” Ariel called back to her friend, who was getting dressed in the bathroom.

“That’s brill.” Elizabeth replied, not showing too much interest in the statement that Ariel had made. It was still freezing outside, even if the sun was out, so Elizabeth didn’t see much of a difference.

Ariel shook her head in amusement at her friend’s reply. Ariel tended to notice the little things. Just the smallest of things could make Ariel’s day, which is one of the reasons she was such a positive person. Many people were her friends because she was such a delight to be around, and of course Ariel didn’t mind, she enjoyed being friends with people, they often made her day; much like Elizabeth usually did.

“Hey, how do I look?” Elizabeth asked as she came out of the bathroom, doing a few spins so Ariel could get a good look at her outfit for the day.

She was wearing a pastel pink colored jumper, along with navy blue skinny jeans, black mid-calf length boots, and a grey cardigan, while her caramel brown locks were put up into a neat bun. Her deep brown eyes danced with amusement as she strutted around the room, showing off the outfit she had put together. She had a sense for fashion, and many people knew this. Girls would often come to her for fashion advice, and Elizabeth would willingly give it. Fashion was one of the reasons Elizabeth was attending university.

Ariel giggled at the poses that Elizabeth was striking. “It’s lovely, as always.” She remarked. “Makeup looks brilliant as well.”

“Thank you.” Elizabeth responded, taking a little bow.

Ariel laughed softly before her eyes glanced at the clock that hung next to the door in the room. “Well, we best head off now, unless we want to be late for class…again.” Ariel said, as she adjusted the white long sleeve she was wearing. It had the British flag on it, and it went brilliantly with the blue skinny jeans she was wearing, and black knee-high boots.

Elizabeth nodded. She was often the reason they were late most days, but that’s only because she never woke up on time. She set her alarm clock every day, and for some reason it never seemed to go off. She’d check it constantly, but it always seemed like she never set it at all, which ended up causing the two to be late. Of course, Ariel didn’t have to be late, but she was the type that stuck by her friends, so really there was no helping it.