chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Sitting on the couch in the corner alone holding a red solo cup I hadn't taken a sip of, people started to look at me weird. They knew everything about me from once glance,  I was that girl who didn't do parties. Eva and Riley were around doing what they did best, socializing while drinking, but I kept a close eye on them so things didn't go down hill.

"What are you doing sitting here alone?" I heard a mysterious male voice ask and I looked in the direction of where the voice was coming from. Standing behind me was a guy I'd never seen before.

"Well my friends are over there doing their thing and I didn't want to participate in their shenanigans so I just sat over here, on this couch. Is there a reason you're asking?" I knew I sounded rude but I didn't really care, I didn't know him and he didn't need to invade my personal space.

"I was looking for a place to sit and this is the only open space plus you look kinda lonely, may I join?" He asked so harmlessly and I had to give it to him, he didn't seem drunk or out of his mind.

"First off I'm not lonely I just don't party like my friends, I told you that. Secondly you can't sit here." He sat down anyways. "What's your name?" I asked curiously, he was stunning to say the least. He looked about 6 feet tall and from what I could see he had light brown hair.

"Jacob Peterson, what's yours?" He asked with a subtle smirk.

"I'm Kelsey." I said with a smile. His red solo cup was filled to the brim was some strong smelling alcohol.

"Well Kelsey, that beer in your cup won't drink itself." He pointed out the obvious.

"That's too bad because I wasn't planning on drinking it either. I was going for that you have a cup in your hand, you must be having fun look." I told him and listened to his deep chuckle.

"I see." The conversation trailed off and I found myself staring into his blue eyes, mesmerized by the way they sparkled when he smiled.

"What are you staring at?" He continued to smile while I immediately looked down away from him. Oops, if only I could blame it on having too much to drink but I already told him I'm sober.

"Nothing, sorry." I decided to just look at my cup, embarrassed that I got caught with no excuse.  

I heard him chuckling softly to himself and out of the corner of my eye I looked at him. He was looking forward bent over with his elbows against his knees and still smiling, slightly shaking his head. I forced myself to ignore it and ran my finger along the edge of the cup but it quickly got boring. Finally I looked up and watched the people around me like Jacob was doing. Eva came into view surprisingly followed by Shane Parker. She wasn't stumbling or throwing up so I was thankful for that.

Eva had a big grin on her face and as she got closer it grew.

"Look." She mouthed, giving an obvious point to Shane. Then she noticed Jacob and her eyes widened in shock at his broodingly handsome features and the fact I was talking to an actual guy. Eva knelt down beside me and put her lips to my ear. "You're talking to someone that means we don't have to leave! Who's he?"

"I'll tell you later." I rolled my eyes and felt the couch shift as Jacob got up. Quickly I got the sense that Jacob and Shane knew each other. A complicated handshake was shared and a mutual fascination for how funny another friend named Ryan was when he was high. That was all I got from the conversation because of the ultra loud music.

"Anyways, Shane and I are getting along wonderfully!" Eva giggled. "So it's time for the big test."

It was obvious that Shane passed the hot test but apparently he'd also passed the second test, the getting to know you test. The big test was simply a kiss. It was Eva's way of seeing if she had the world renowned spark with a boy. It meant she wanted to take her relationship with Shane to the next level, see if he was boyfriend material.