prologue

Prologue:

Monday's were my least favorite day. I would have to wake up at the crack of dawn to make myself presentable, after waking up at noon on Saturday and Sunday, only to catch the bus. Which would be hot and smell slightly like my Dad's gym socks. I cringed just thinking about it.

Good thing today wasn't Monday.

My Saturday's were devoted to my two best friends, Eva and Riley and Starbucks hot chocolate.

Eva was definitely the cutest out of us there. Her Latina figure and flawless tan skin was every girl's dream and the way Spanish rolled off her tongue was infuriating. If I was into girls I would definitely have a crush on her.

Riley was naturally beautiful and to people who didn't know her she was a quiet, studious girl. When she let loose and got over her anxiety she would reveal her loud, crazy self and never let you go.

"Guess who made eye contact with me yesterday?" Eva developed a new crush every week. Last week it was Oliver Dalton, a good looking boy genius.

"Who is it this time?" Riley groaned, ready to hear another long story about why this boy was so great and deserved her love.

"Shane Parker!" Shane was highly known around school for his acts of rebellion and making a statement with his detention record. Making eye contact with him apparently was all it took to make Eva swoon. "I overheard him talking with his friends about this party tonight at that jock Luke Sampson's house and I think we should go. That way I can talk to him after drinking a little bit of liquid courage if you know what I mean." She winked.

Parties were not my thing. I had many things, reading, studying, watching Matt Smith as the eleventh doctor on Doctor Who and hanging out in Starbucks but parties were not my thing. I hated the crowds and the illegality of it all.

"Eva you made me go to a party last weekend." I fought. That party was a mess, too many people getting drunk too quickly. It didn't help that both my friends were off getting drunk and getting their flirt on.

"I did, now I'm making you go to this one." She smiled. There was always a reason behind why she made me go. Last week it was because almost everyone in the school would be there and she didn't want to feel left out.

"I understand why you want me to go but do I really have to?" This was how it started, I'd reason, she'd beg and I'd give in. She was about to burst with excitement.

"All the football players will be there so we have to go so I can get tipsy and talk to Shane while you do you and hopefully talk to someone this time." She knew my dislike towards parties but I was hopeful that maybe this time she would actually go through with talking to her latest crush.

I wanted a boyfriend but not for the typical reasons. There was something intriguing about always having someone to talk to. I would have liked to meet someone too although I knew the chances were really low.

"Eva I will go but if an hour or two has passed and you have not made your move or I haven't talked to anyone we go home." She almost jumped up out of her seat when I agreed. I liked making my friends happy whenever I could.

"You're really agreeing to go?!" She took my hands. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"Don't thank me yet."

"So what are we wearing? I was thinking we all wear pink headbands or pink sparkly shirts? I saw these shirts on Instagram and te amo!" Eva pulled her phone from her purse, ready to show us the picture.

"Eva hun I don't mean to burst your bubble but do I look like I wear pink sparkly things? You're just lucky I'm coming." I quickly said.

"Yeah I have to agree with Kelsey on this one." Riley backed me up.

"But look." She pouted showing us the bedazzled shirt and we both shook our heads. "You guys are no fun."