Chapter Two: New Beginnings

Ruby awoke bright and extra early for her first day at her new training school, Beacon. She trudged her way into the woods on the outside of Patch wanting to make use the excess time she had on her hands. As she sauntered through the woods, there were some animals rustling left and right as she walked, but they all cowered as soon as they made eye contact with her. She wasn't exactly sure why, but she didn't mind it at all at the moment. She had one objective before heading to Beacon and didn't want any disturbance along the way.

Not wanting to waste anymore time, she activated her semblance and rushed her way to the end of the forest. There lied her mother's grave, Summer Rose.

"Thus kindly I scatter," her mother's tombstone read.

The cool gentle air brushed Ruby's cheeks. Her breathing was leveled. The grass danced in the wind. Tree branches waved their barks and released their hold on the leaves they had been holding.

"I've come to understand why you had said that you loved me so many times in the past. I never really wondered why, but now I know. And I wished I could've said it as much as you."

Lifting her red hood over her head she uttered softly three words. "I love you," and turned around on her tracks to head to Beacon. She only took a few steps forward until she froze on her heels. Rose petals scattered all around her and she knew her mother is with her. Filling her with warmth and guidance, within minutes Ruby was at the entrance of the woods. Her eyes wondered up to the skies thanking her mother once more as she headed to Beacon on an aircraft.

The ride to Beacon was about 45 minutes from Patch so there was no need for her to dorm at the school. At least, she believed that it wasn't necessary for the time. At her arrival she stood at the entrance with her mouth ajar captivated by the school's architecture. She took small slow steps towards the building as she looked around her at the students hanging around campus. Immediately her eyes flickered to a young lass with brilliant red hair accompanied with a tiara. A star student known across every school. Pyrrha Nikos.

Pyrrha excelled in every academic study and is a world renowned fighter. Beautiful, elegant, and can be ruthless. But, she couldn't compare to a certain someone that Ruby's eyes kept circling the area for, Weiss Schnee. Saddened by the fact that she didn't see Weiss anywhere amongst the students outside, Ruby decided it was time to enter the great doors of Beacon.

Guess she's still stuck at Atlas... but I hope her new training school can make her happy. But... wait! What if she's inside here somewhere!?

Now rushing inside, a figure unmistakenable stood in front of her. The figure turned around to face Ruby out of curiosity as to who was running.

"Rubes! I was wondering when you'd get here."

"H-hey Yang," Ruby answered nervously. "What's up?"

"What's up? I could ask you the same. What's the rush?"

"Oh, uh... I was looking for someone..."

"Oh! Don't tell me, little Weiss?"

"Yeah..." Ruby hung her head low.

"I'm sorry Ruby, but I'm afraid she's still in Atlas. But hey, there's plenty of people of here you can befriend. So why not try starting anew?"

"Anew? Without Weiss...?"

"Just try, Ruby." Yang placed an arm over Ruby's shoulder. "You won't be alone in this either."

"I'll try, I guess... but Weiss is more than a friend to me. I don't know if she feels the same, but I know for a fact that I love her. I mean after all these years I still hold such strong feelings for her."

"Hey listen, maybe you two will meet again? And who knows, maybe she'll like you too? I can totally picture it. You two had always been inseparable."

Ruby's lips upturned into a small smile with a slight hint of sadness.

Yang decided to change the subject. "So, I'm guessing you went to see her this morning. I didn't find you when I woke up and yet I arrived here first."

"I did. And I knew she was with me." Ruby smiled with pure happiness now. "As I began to walk away, rose petals started to form around me and I knew they were hers."

"It's nice to know that she's with you in spirit."

Ruby and Yang began walking slowly through the halls. Yang was going towards the direction of her locker, Ruby just followed absent-mindedly.

"Do you think I'll find my mom? Or that she'll return?"

"You can hope all you want, but if you're looking to find her, you need a start. So tell me, do you have a beginning?"

"Uh, no?" Yang was slightly confused.

"Are you willing to try to find her?"

"Yes." Yang smiled.

"Then that's your starting point." Ruby then abruptly bursted, "Yang, you're doing a lot better... if you know what I mean..."

"That's because I have a baby sister to care for." Yang ruffled Ruby's hair. "Even though you're not much of a baby anymore. And I trust that you can make choices of your own. Even with a little hint of doubt, you'll make the right choice. And I'll always be there to guide you. And Ruby, I may want to find my mother, but if I give up sometime along the way, I'm not going to let that her absence take a toll on me. Over the years I've come to realise that I was just letting that be my whole world and it's not worth it. I'm going to enjoy life. So that's why I'm telling you to try to start over, but I know it's going to be hard. You and Weiss has known each other for a long time. But don't let her absence be the reason why you are missing out on life."

"Yang, I never looked at it in that way."

"Of course you didn't." Yang joked. "You're like born a pessimist, like your blood type is B negative!"

Ruby slowly shook her head. "That was a really lame joke Yang."

As they approached an office a young female followed them in suite. She wore black and white and had a bow on her head. As Yang and Ruby spoke, she kept gazing at them. But mostly at Yang.

"Say Yang, do you think Weiss will recognise me?"

"Why wouldn't she, Rubes?" Yang replied, but then took another look at Ruby. "Well, I've known you all my life, she might have to do like a double take on you or something cause of the hair and years of separation, but your eyes should tell all. Only you and Summer have such eyes. And oh, you've grown a lot taller now... Anymore and you'll be as tall as me and I don't know how I'll feel about that." Ruby's sister joked.

Inside the office was a man with whitish grayish hair and little glasses resting on the bridge of his nose. The two sisters recognised him as the headmaster, professor Ozpin.

"Is there where I get my schedule?" Ruby asked.

"Huh, oh I forgot to tell you! First years have to meet in the ballroom. There should be an announcement soon."

Just as Yang spoke, the intercom went off with a woman introducing herself as Glynda calling all first years to enter the ballroom.

"Well, there ya go! See ya Rubes!"

Yang left Ruby to find the ballroom on her own in which she did surprisingly fine. There in the ballroom their headmaster gave each student a scroll.

"And with your scroll you can find your schedule and even summon your assigned locker to you when you need your weapon. Here, you will make many friends, but choose your friends well. Over the course of your days here, you will develop bonds amongst your peers that will fight along sides you in every step of the way."

Well Ruby, guess you really do have to make the best out of it here... Ruby thought to herself. Maybe I can be friends with Pyrrha and learn all her fighting techniques...

Someone then tapped on Ruby's shoulder. Startled, Ruby turned around to meet a pair of amber eyes.

"Um, hi... I'm Ruby." Ruby stook out her hand for a handshake.

"I'm Blake." The two shook hands and half listened to rest of whatever their headmaster had to say.