I perked up. “Really?”

            “Yeah. All I had to do was donate some more money and it was instantly all right. We also have unlimited visiting hours now.”

            I grinned. “Have I ever told you that I love you uncle Liam?”

            He made a face. “Ugh, don’t call me uncle. I feel old enough as it is.”

            Everyone laughed then and the atmosphere remained light until my dinner arrived. Liam had been kind enough to order some for everyone else as well, so we all ate together. The nurses checked up on me a few times, but never stayed for too long.

 When we were finished eating, Jared, Jake and Liam got ready to leave. Jared said he’d go to Blake’s and grab a bag of stuff for him and then drop it off before going home for the night.

Once they were gone, Blake and I sat in silence for a bit. Now that there were fewer people here, I was finding it harder to keep myself from freaking out about the whole situation.

Of course, Blake knew that something was wrong. “Hailey, you know you don’t have to stay strong all the time. You’re allowed to break down if you need to.”

I pressed my face into the side of his neck. “I’m scared,” I whispered.

He rested his cheek on my head. “I know. It’s not going to be easy for the next little while, but I know you’ll get through it. I won’t let you give up.”

“I know you won’t. I might get mad at you a lot until I’m better,” I admitted.

“That’s okay. I was an ass to you for a while and you still stuck by me. It’s time for me to return the favor now.”

I smiled a little. “I probably won’t be as bad as you were,” I said teasingly.

He laughed. “That’s a good thing. I was pretty horrible sometimes.”

“Yeah you were. But it was worth it in the end.”

“I’m glad you think so,” he replied. “And just think; anytime you get too cranky, I can just run you into a wall,” he added cheerfully.

I giggled and pulled my face away from his neck. “You’re so weird sometimes.”

“Yeah, but you love me anyways.” He stroked my cheek with his hand. “I’ll always be here for you, Hailey. No matter what you need me for.”

It turned out that I ended up needing him for a lot. Two days after the surgery, the doctors told me that I might be able to walk again if I was willing to work very hard. I agreed and they let me go home a few days later. Blake pretty much moved in with us so that he could be there for me all the time. He helped me with everything I needed, even coming into the bathroom with me. But he also let me do things for myself, so I didn’t feel suffocated.

The sound of a guitar being strummed roused me from my sleep on the first morning I was back home. I cracked an eye open and saw Blake sitting on the edge of the bed, his guitar, which he’d brought with him last night, sitting on his lap. His back was to me, but when I shifted a little he turned his head in my direction. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.”

            I struggled to push myself up and he quickly put the guitar down and came to my side. He offered me his hand and I took it gratefully, letting him pull me into a sitting position and prop me up against the headboard. “What were you playing? I didn’t get a chance to hear what song it was.”

            He hesitated for a moment. “It’s going to sound corny, but when I had you in my arms this morning, I started thinking about how much you’ve changed my life for the better. A song popped into my head, so I grabbed my guitar.”