Chapter 10

For the next couple of weeks, Blake and I met up at the park almost every day after school. He came over to my place once more for dinner and I went to his place a few times to work on the project. When the project was done, I was actually a little sad. I was going to miss hanging out with him at his place.

            On a Friday night, my phone rang, interrupting the movie that Liam and I were watching. I paused the movie and glanced down at my phone, frowning when I didn’t recognize the number. “Hello?”

            “Hailey?”

            “Yeah?”

            “It’s Sophie.”

            Recognition dawned. “Oh hey, how’s it going?”

            “Pretty good. I stole your number off of Blake, in case you’re wondering.”

            “Ah, that makes sense. Does he know you did that?”

            “Um, no?”

            I laughed. “Figured. So what can I do for you?”

            “I was wondering if you wanted to go shopping with me tomorrow?”

            “Yeah, I could do that. What time? And do you want me to pick you up?”

            “How about right after lunch? And that would be great if you could pick me up. It sucks not having my license yet.”

            “No problem. I’ll pick you up around one then, okay?”

            “Sounds good, see you then.”

            I hung up the phone and turned to see Liam looking at me curiously. “That was Sophie, Blake’s cousin. She wants to go shopping tomorrow.”

            “Oh, I didn’t realize you were friends with her.”

            I shrugged. “With how much I was at Blake’s to work on the project, we kind of became friends.”

            “Well, have fun shopping,” he said with a shudder.

            I chuckled. “I’m sure I will. Not everyone has your aversion to going to malls.”

            “I suppose not. But since you’re going, would you mind picking up a couple of shirts for me? That way I don’t have to go as well.”

            “Sure. Ready to finish the movie?” At his nod, I pressed play again and we finished watching the movie.

            The next day, I pulled up at Blake’s house right on time. I got out and knocked on the door. When it opened to reveal Blake, I blinked in surprise. This was the first time he’d been the one to answer the door. “Hey, is Sophie ready to go?”

            He shrugged. “No idea. She said something about doing her hair or makeup or changing her clothes.”

            I raised a brow. “So I might be waiting for awhile then?”

            “Possibly.” He opened the door further. “Come on in. I’m sure I can entertain you until my cousin is done being a diva.”

            I chuckled and followed him into the house. “I’m sure you can. Do you need to let her know I’m here?”

            “No, she heard the doorbell and that’s when she freaked out and started ranting about not being ready. Which is why I was the one to answer the door.”