Chapter 22

Quinn watched the door for only a moment longer before she sighed and turned back to the drawer she had been looking through when Silvia had interrupted. Her head was throbbing a little but it didn't feel bad enough that she would need a trip down to the infirmary.

"Maybe you should sit down," Liam was saying, but she ignored him, opening the drawer again so she could continue her exploration.

A little wolf figurine posed in a howling position caught her attention and she carefully picked it up. She could tell it had been hand carved from a piece of dark wood she couldn't identify, every detail perfect from the proportions of the wolf to the detail of the fur.

"My father made that for Chris when we adopted him into the family," Liam explained, coming to stand beside her. "A Hunter raid wiped out his pack and he was left on his own. It's one of his most cherished possessions."

I suppose that explains a lot, Quinn thought sadly as she carefully lowered the figurine back into the drawer and slid it closed. No wonder the Alpha was finding it so difficult to deal with her.

Liam took advantage of her distraction and gently caught her face between his hands so that he could look at the side of her head.

"Chris is going to go ape shit when he sees you," he commented. "No one was to come anywhere near you."

Quinn shrugged. It was nothing new when it came to Silvia, really.

She was about to say as much when the door burst open so hard it was almost thrown off its hinges and Liam jumped back from her so quickly it was as if she had suddenly grown horns or something. Quinn turned to the door see a positively livid Christian standing in the doorway, holding a silver tray from the kitchen in hands that were shaking so badly it was a wonder the contents of the tray weren't on the floor.

"What the fuck happened?" the Alpha demanded, his gaze moving from Quinn to Liam and then back again. "I thought you had people watching Silvia, Liam!"

Quinn frowned. How did he find out about the altercation so quickly?

Christian didn't offer any hints as to how he could possibly have found out about her fight with Silvia as he stalked into the room and dropped the tray on top of the chest of drawers in front of Quinn. He then grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her through the bedroom door into a small sitting room and guided her onto one of the couches.

"Can I not leave you alone for ten minutes without you getting into some kind of trouble?" he asked with a sigh as he carefully turned her head to the side so he could see the damage Silvia had done. "Liam, there's a first aid kit under the sink in the bathroom."

Having followed them quietly out of the bedroom, Liam moved at once, going into the en suite bathroom while Christian sat down on the low coffee table in front of her.

"Honestly," he said. "What am I going to do with you, little hunter? It's starting to feel like every time I turn around you're either needing a trip to the infirmary to be patched up or a trip to the pack councilor for a breakdown."

Quinn prickled at his words, unable to form a retort because what he was saying was true. Ever since she'd started living with the pack, she had turned into an emotional mess. All of the self-discipline she had been taught growing up seemed to have gone out of the window and she was either snapping with rage or she was dissolving into tears.

And most of the time, it was because of the man sitting in front of her.

Liam returned from the bathroom and handed his brother a clean cloth and a bowl of warm water that smelled of disinfectant.