Chapter 13

"What do you think you're doing?" Grayson demanded as he followed her down the corridors of the mansion. "Get back to bed!"

Quinn ignored the Alpha. Her body protested with every step she took, her head was spinning sickeningly, but after her remarkably vivid dream and what he'd told her, she had questions and for the sake of her sanity she needed answers as soon as possible. The people they passed jumped out of her way with surprised expressions, as if they didn't expect to see her, but she ignored them, too.

She was far from in the mood.

Only half an hour earlier she had woken to find that she had been tucked into her bed back in the pack's mansion and it was three full days later. Her body ached so badly, it was as if she had gone several rounds in the Hunter academy training yard with the meanest trainer on the faculty roster. Her head pounded so badly it felt as if her brain was trying to explode from her skull.

She had no memory of what had happened between the explosion and waking up in her bed, but Grayson had told her how distraught she had become when Liam had pulled the dying Sophia out from under the debris. He'd described how Quinn had lost it and fought her way out of Christian's grip to get to Sophia, shoving Liam aside. She'd then placed her hands on Sophia's broken body and then closed her eyes as if she were concentrating. The next thing anyone knew, Sophia's wounds were healing over and Quinn had turned deathly pale.

"When it was over," Grayson had said. "Sophia looked as if nothing had happened, and you looked as if you were a moment away from breathing your last."

Now, she made her way through the carpeted corridors of the mansion as quickly as she was able, determined to get to her destination before someone forced her to go back to her room. Thankfully, Grayson may have been an Alpha, but he seemed reluctant to try pulling rank on her. The moment she was told what she had done, she had quickly picked up an oversized sweatshirt that had been folded up and set on the footlocker and slid it on, not caring who it belonged to or that it seemed vaguely familiar.

"Damn it, Quinn!" Grayson growled, speeding up so that he could overtake her and block her path, bringing her to an abrupt stop. "Do I need to call Christian?"

Quinn's irritation levels were steadily rising the longer it took her to get to where she was going and she resisted the urge to tell him 'piss off'. Although he seemed to be more tolerant of her than Christian had ever been, Grayson Stone was still an Alpha and she doubted he would take it well.

"Call him if you want," she hissed, pushing past the big man. "I'm still not going back to bed. Now, please move out of my way."

Before he could respond, Quinn ducked under his arm and continued through the corridors and through a set of doors that led to the wing of the house that housed the gallery and the library. She didn't care if Christian was called on. Nothing was going to stop her from getting her answers.

Under normal circumstances, she wasn't really allowed in this particular wing without either Sophia or Liam being with her. And when she was there with them, there were certain areas that were forbidden. From what she understood, Christian didn't want a former Hunter learning anything she shouldn't about the pack. It was a security risk.

But right now, Quinn didn't care. Christian yell at her about disobeying the rules later.

All of her answers were in this library. At least, she hoped they were.

With a little bit of effort, Quinn shoved open the double doors. Gods, when had she gotten so weak?

The library was a huge wood paneled room that was at least two stories high, complete with a second level walkway. The walls were lined from floor to ceiling with books of all genres, from children's books to reference texts to heavy tomes hundreds of years old. Here and there were tables and armchairs, where people could sit and read or do some research and there were several ladders set at different intervals in the room that had been fixed to rails so that they could be slid along the shelves.