Chapter 41

When Liam finally pulled the car into the Alpha Prime's estate, Quinn had barely stepped out of the car before she found herself in a tight embrace from a teary eyed Sophia.

"I'm so happy you're okay!" the dark haired woman exclaimed as she squeezed Quinn tighter.

The strength of the relief she felt at seeing the woman surprised Quinn and she'd hugged her back just as fiercely. She was so touched by her friend's reaction that she didn't bother letting her know that she was hugging her so tightly it actually hurt a little. She didn't want to ruin the moment.

"You too," Quinn replied softly, meaning the words more than she had ever meant any others. Sophia was her closest friend, had always been there for her from the moment Quinn had joined the pack. She had completely lost it once before when she'd seen the woman so close to death and now that she was hugging the woman, Quinn realized she would have been beyond devastated if she had lost Sophia.

As soon as Sophia finally let her go, Grayson practically yanked her into a very similar embrace, though he seemed to hold his enthusiasm in check so he wasn't quite crushing her like Sophia had. A low growl in the back of her mind told her Christian was starting to have another possessive moment and she quickly stepped out of the big man's embrace with an apologetic smile.

Grayson glanced over her head at his mate's brother and rolled his eyes. "Really?"

Melissa snorted in amusement and stepped forward to awkwardly embrace Quinn, her very rounded stomach making it a bit difficult.

"Welcome home, little sister," she said and Quinn suddenly felt her eyes start to prickle dangerously.

'You okay, little wolf?' Christian's concern floated down their bond, having sensed her sudden change in mood.

'I'm fine,' Quinn insisted. 'Just not used to all of this ...'

The joy and relief she felt coming from everyone around her, and her own similar emotions in response, were so strong that it threatened to bring her to her knees. It kind of annoyed her that Melissa calling her 'sister' could make her so emotional that she was so close to tears. It wasn't like her to be so emotional. But those around her were so genuine that she just couldn't not be moved by them. Was this what it felt like to have a real family?

It didn't help that she could feel Christian's emotions in all of this as strongly as she could feel her own. The Alpha General was beyond pleased to be back with his family, and relieved to see they were all safe and well. He practically glowed with joy as he greeted each member of his family in turn. When his adoptive mother practically bowled him over in her haste to embrace him and assure themselves that he was alright, Christian's emotions hit Quinn like a sledgehammer. The mixed wave of love and amusement that radiated from him gave her a warmth she hadn't felt before and she found herself smiling broadly for her mate, even as she almost hid behind his younger brother.

Because she hadn't forgotten the way the Elders had reacted to her at the Meeting only a few days prior and though she was happy for Christian, she was incredibly nervous about being so close to his parents. Especially when, after his father had got the chance to embrace his son, his mother's eyes zeroed in on the spot where his shoulder and neck met and she moved the collar of his shirt aside to see the permanent marks Quinn had left there.

Christian smiled at his mother and took her hand. "Mom, Dad, there's someone I want you both to meet."

The atmosphere seemed to grow tense as he led his adoptive parents over to Quinn. Sophia, Liam, Grayson and Melissa all seemed to be nervously holding their breath, waiting to see how the two Elders would react.