Chapter 3 - Country Lights

A/N: Spot the song references:))

Tiana's POV

I was in the backyard of an apartment the tour agency provided in the countryside of Tennessee. In its capital, Nashville. Where I grew up before moving in with Varia to Southern Carolina when I was 16. It felt good to be back home.

Beside me was Paris, and we were both looking over to the spot where he asked me to be his girlfriend exactly 5 years ago. That was in 2016, and today he sat beside me. Reminiscing about our quiet days together. No paparazzi, no eyes watching, no loose lips to sink our relationship. We missed those days but we loved to see a fan's smile as well. We were so caught up in the nostalgia that even the bodyguards metres away did not bother us.

I looked at Paris and a smile made its way to my face as he drew a crumpled notebook out and a well-used pencil from the back pocket of his jeans. He let out a small laugh and glanced at me. I reached out and held his right hand in response, the hand which he used to pen so many beautiful melodies and world hits. His diary was basically a melody waiting to come alive anyway.

He gave me a lazy smile as he started moving his hand. The two top buttons of his checked shirt unbuttoned with a guitar lying across us.  I felt comfortable in the position we were in. Slowly, but surely, words started filling the once clean yellowed notepad as we wrote down the lyrics of how we felt. One song for each anniversary we spent together. Five songs for the fifth. 

"You know how I said I wanted to work with the likes of Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert..." the list went on and on as Paris named all his favourite country singers.

Which was every single one who have performed on CMA's (Country Music Association) stage or posted singles on YouTube but I listened until he finished anyway. Simply because his voice itself was a soothing tune.

It took about 15 minutes for him to go through the list usually, and each time the names were different. New ones appear and old ones leave. Some remained, and some re-appeared at times. He will never remember them all either way.

"...I think it's happening," he finished with this line this time which caught me off guard. I turned my gaze away from the notepad, giving him my attention while waiting for him to continue.

"I'm embarrassed to admit it but well, I mainly wrote Taylor's lead single for her country comeback. She loved it so much when she heard me playing it in cafe once on audio and edited on it to suit her style and voice," he stated.

He proceeded to cover his face and gave a little shake with his head.

"It's so sappy," he murmured before a cute laugh escaped his lips. I shook my head in reply, pushing his shoulder playfully. 

Why does he act as though he does not write hot pop songs too?

***

I lied in my bed with Varia in the bed beside me. The moon was shining in our room brightly, giving her comfort. She never got over her fear for the darkness since 8, and she would be turning 20 in a few months.

"Paris and you?" she asked, referring to our 5th anniversary.

I smiled in response before replying, "Same as always. One song for each year we have spent. Five for this year."

Indeed, each year of our anniversary, we spent it by watching the spot he asked for my heart all those years ago. We will always proceed to pen our feelings emotions through a song for the rest of the day. Today was no different.

"Hmm," Varia hummed in answer before adding, "We will be back in November to this town we always knew for the CMA Awards. It is almost surreal. To be back in this old town."

I nodded in response, partially wondering if the others will be going to view the ceremony. From what Paris told me, they rarely gave a listening ear to the country music that he played. I personally doubt they would be willing to live through 3 hours of country music. I glanced at Varia at this and she forced a smile.

"I," she started before adding, "Nevermind."

I looked up at her, feeling slightly concerned now. She has yet to call Luke for this entire week, and they were the couple everyone admired.

"He and I," Varia started then continuing with, "Luke and I...ended."

I heard her choke out the last word before shaking her head. A little tear did slip out her eye but she wiped it off quickly.

"I could have done better. I'm okay," she assured me after seeing my expression.

She proceeded to stand up and gave me a tight quick hug, wishing me a happy fifth anniversary. I thanked her in return, wanting to console her about her recent break up that she hid so well. I was, in fact, guilty to not have known.

However, she exited almost immediately after she pulled apart from our embrace. I bit my lip, mildly worried about her and slightly curious to see if my conscious was right. I opened up the window which gave me a glimpse of the balcony of the apartment, letting cool air fill the room.

I peeked out and sure enough, Chase and Varia stood leaning against the balcony railings with a cup of orange juice each.

----

A/N

We hope you enjoyed this chapter! Not 100% satisfied with how this chapter ended, so please tell us what you think! Everything about the secret of Vy's break up will be explained in the next chapter:)

Other than that, we just want to tell you we will be focusing on the other characters more after the next chapter. We just need to clear the air of Varia's break up, so stay tuned for more!

Love everyone who is reading this and if you liked it, don't forget to leave a vote behind!

rainx21p & meltingrelations