Chapter 11

I woke up startled! I rub my throat with my hand and I feel something was different this time around. I can feel a sharp pain at my throat. I can even feel that something is stuck in my throat. Someone is going to die. I say to myself.

        I make my way to the living room to find the iPhone which I left on the center table. I reach for it, scramble to remember where I placed Dr. Marcos’s calling card. I reach into my jean pocket and found it there. I dialled the number and press call.

        The phone begins to ring. I wait for her to pick-up the phone but she didn’t. The phone kept on ringing until it finally said that Dr. Marcos can’t be reached.

        I take a second to look at the wall clock that hangs at the top of the flat screen television. It’s 3 in the morning.  She must be still asleep. I say to myself. I lay the iPhone back on the center table and head to the kitchen. I didn’t have my dinner last night and I can feel my stomach is like eating my insides.

        The kitchen is small but complete. It has an induction cooker, small white refrigerator, water dispenser, rice cooker, microwave oven and so on. I open the refrigerator and find all the essentials that a healthy living person’s refrigerator should have. Vegetables, fruits, frozen chicken, eggs, non-fat milk and several others.

        During my childhood until now, I never really knew how to really cook. As the only child, my mother made sure I had everything I needed but I was still able to get a lesson or two about frying chicken, eggs, hotdogs and several others that can be fried.

        During college, I usually sneaked some leftover food from the fast food restaurant where I was working at and store it in our fridge and reheat it when I am hungry.

        What I don’t know was how to use the induction cooker but it gave me no choice. I take a box of fresh milk and pour it into the electronic water heater. I also find a loaf of bread and a jar of sandwich spread. I ate about five sandwiches and drank a glass of warm fresh milk before I felt that I am already full.

        After breakfast, I went on with my daily routine. I take a bath and got clothed.

        I want to call Dr. Marcos, but the clock is just about to strike 4 o’clock. I decide to rest on the living room couch to let the time pass while I try to get to know my iPhone. It is the first time I ever have an iPhone. So, there is nothing good in killing time than exploring apps and getting it organized.

        The moment the clock that hangs at the top of the flat screen television strikes 5, my phone began to ring with an unknown number flashing on the screen.

        “Hello?” I say.

        “You’re up early!” I hear Jarek’s voice on the other end.

        “Who’s this?

        “It’s Jarek. So, why are you up so early?

        “With my situation, having peaceful sleep doesn’t come easy to me.

        “Another future?” He asks.

        “Maybe.

        “Ok. I’ll be right there.” Then he hangs up the phone.

        I lay the phone on the top of the table and went on massaging my legs.

        About a few minutes later I hear someone knocks at the door.