Chapter 4

The electricity is out. A serial killer was in the room. And a friend bleeding to death. A perfect scene that jumped out from a Hollywood thriller movie, but this time it is no movie. It is real.

        Ricky stands stiffly in front of me while something is attached to his forehead. It’s not clear what it is but it looks like some sort of line connecting him to the man with the red lit eyes. Even in the dark, I can see blood oozing out from his forehead where the line was attached like it is punching through Ricky’s skull. A second later, the wire whizzes out from Ricky and went back to where it came from.

         I was still holding his polo, trying to pull him to run, I was dumbfounded by what happened next. I can feel his cotton polo slowly slipping off my hold. Then he stumbles down to the floor and from that moment I knew he was already gone.

          Fear starts to consume me. I raise my head and I can see the silhouette of the red-lit-eyes man starting to walk towards me. I don’t want to die! My mind utters.

         The red-lit-eyed man’s footsteps echo in the complete silence. One thud after the other! His steps signify the grim reaper slowly approaching me and ready to reap my soul from my body. The dread of dying envelopes my body and commanded it to run. And so I did.

             Panic rips its way to my mind. It blocks all my thinking. All that runs through my mind is to get far away from the man with red-lit-eyes. I am going to the primal state of every human being, the state of survival.

             I am running at an aisle of our office towards the side of the office floor where the full glass windows are. I hear a gun fire! I hear another! And then another! Then the full glass window in front of me shatters to a thousand pieces.

              The explosion of the glass window knocks me to one of the office cubicle on the right side of the aisle. My head almost hits the desk. If it wasn’t for my reflexes acting on protecting it, my head would have been busted wide open. But the force was too strong that my head still felt the pain when it landed on my arms that moved to protect it.

              I fall to the floor dazed. I try to shrug out the pain from my head but it didn’t help. My vision is wobbling and blurry. My ears are occupied by a sharp ringing sound. I try to sit up using both my arms. I leaned my back against the cubicle wall. I blink several times to clear my vision. The moment I was able to see more clearly, I begin to make out another silhouette kneeling a few feet away from me. Its body is more slender and have its hair tied to a pony at the back of its head. I blink more hoping to clear the image out. A second later, the image is clear and I can see a woman in full-on-black.

            She turns her head towards me and mouths one word. My ears are still filled with a ringing sound but I completely understand the word she mouthed. Run.

              She charges toward the direction of the man with red-lit-eyes! With the ringing in my ears slightly subsiding, I start to hear more gunfires! I get up leaning on the wall. My knees were shaking. I got hold of the upper end of the cubicle divider with the use of my left hand to steady myself for a second then I turn to my right and slide myself out of the cubicle. Even with shaking knees, I pull myself to run.

             I run alongside the full glass window, limping. I see a red rectangular light about more than two meters high. The fire exit! My mind utters.

            I take a glimpse on where the gun fires and ruckus are happening for a second or two. In the dark, I can see the faint image of the woman in the full-on black gets thrown to the right side of the room, knocking down cubicle wall divisions and computers from where they were placed. She courageously stands and charges the man with red-lit-eyes again!