Chapter 5: Smoke, Shadows, and Tea

(avatar the last airbender: the lost adventures and then Smoke and Shadow happens. I recently read this on mangago. Basically Zuko has returned from searching for his mother. During this time, he met ursa, his mother, and Kiyi, his younger half-sister, along with his mother's new husband. As soon as he enters port he is attacked by Mai's father leading a resistance. Spirits with really hard names to pronounce are causing problems and abducting children. IT'S BETTER IF YOU READ IT! so to avoid spoilers go read it! if you don't want to read it that's fine I'll just continue on with what I was saying.

Smoke and Shadow: SPOILER ALERT!

Zuko contacts Aang for help with the spirits only to find out the spirits had never walked among the living since forever and a half ago. It's then revealed that Azula was leading a resistance behind zuko's back and she was the one behind the abductions of the children. Of course after some investigating Zuko, ty lee, Mai, kai lo, suki, and Aang manage to find the hide out in a royal family cemetery. Everyone is happy ever after. Kai lo btw is just some young guy who was working for Mai's father but switched sides because he fell in love with Mai. However, at the end she breaks up with him still for an undetermined reason. My guess is she went back to Zuko but that was never stated, I like Kai lo so he's staying with Mai! BACK TO YOUR STORY! This is after all the drama. Which you were not part of because you caught a mysterious cold and was sick in bed.)

=Story=

You Exit your room and head immediately for the throne room. You'd been sick for the last few days and you were eager to meet Zuko's mother. You hadn't had a chance to talk to anybody the last few days because you didn't want to pass your cold to Zuko or Iroh. You open the door with an excited smile on your face. "Zuko! I'm better n..." your happiness is cut short when you walk in on the most depressing site you have ever seen. Zuko is slumped back in his chair with his hand on his face resting his arm against the chair. He looks so depressed it nearly kills you just to look. "Z-Zuko... are you feeling ok?"

"hm?" Zuko looks up at the door and smiles a bit when he sees you. "yeah I'm... fine... just i." he sighs and looks away. "I was talking to Mai today... she's really into that new guy. I think she doesn't like me anymore." He motions towards what is now your seat. "Come sit with me. I was actually just thinking that it'd be nice to speak with you."

You nod and sit next to Zuko on your pillow. "it's good to see you're still doing well." You smile a little bit.

"it's been a stressful few days." Zuko sighs and rubs his forehead. "what with Azula attempting to destroy my everything." He looks at both of his hands in front of him sadness in his eyes. "I really thought... if I just tried hard enough to show her I want to be her brother... that she would change."

"change isn't always easy Zuko." You sigh looking at the door, for no reason other than to avoid eye contact. "I believe that it is up to one's self whether or not you can change. She doesn't seem to want to change Zuko it isn't your fault she didn't."

"Your right." Zuko looks over at you and smiles a bit. "I wanted to change... the me you see sitting here is not the same Zuko I was years ago." He looks at the door and smiles. "Uncle taught me things like... you don't have to psychical hurt your opponent in order to defeat them. He taught me how to control my rage... even how to re-direct lightning."

"that's cool." You smile. "speaking of Iroh where is he? Isn't he still here?"

Zuko nods. "oh yes. He hurried off to the kitchen a while ago to make tea." Zuko chuckles a bit. "Uncle sure does like tea."

"I'm glad your smiling again." You smile a tiny bit. "I really dislike seeing you frown."

Zuko looks at you a bit of surprise on his face. "really? You don't have to flatter me. just because you work for me." he frowns a bit.