Chapter 3 - Iroh the Quote Master

Your standing at the dock with Suki and Zuko. A ship has just docked and lowered its ramp. Zuko smiles a bit. "uncle it's good to see you again."

"young nephew." Iroh smiles. "is it just me or have you gotten taller since last we met?" he asks studying Zuko a bit.

"uh... I don't think so." Zuko puts his hand over his head like he believes he can measure himself by touching his hair.

"well it may just be years of wisdom that make you seem older." Iroh smiles. "how are things?"

"oh... could be better I guess." Zuko frowns.

"no cart?" Iroh asks looking around.

"not this time uncle." Zuko shrugs. "I thought we'd walk. Like old times. That's ok right?"

"sure." Iroh smiles really big. "just as long as we can reach the palace in time for tea." He pauses slightly when he notices you. "oh... this must be the lovely Mai I've heard so much about."

You and zuko both turn bright red in the face. "uh..." you mumble.

"no uncle this is (y/n). I haven't had a chance to tell you yet but... we kind of broke up." Zuko scratches the back of his head. "I uh... this is my advisor."

"oh I see." Iroh smiles. "a young advisor for my young nephew." He puts his arm around you and smiles. "tell me do you like tea?"

"yes sir I do." you smile.

"that's wonderful!" Iroh smiles. "You see I run a small tea shop in the earth kingdom. I don't like to brag but I make a pretty good cup of tea."

You smile back. It's strange this is the first time you've ever seen this guy yet he speaks to you as if your already friends. "it is a pleasure to meet you sir."

"please call me Iroh." He smiles back at you and then turns to Zuko. "so got yourself an advisor? May I ask what for?"

Zuko nods. "I'll explain everything along the way." He turns to Suki. "thank you again for your help you may go now."

Suki nods and runs off back to her post in one of the watch towers.

"Uncle." Zuko frowns as soon as suki has left. "recently some bad things have been happening." the three of you begin the long walk up the dirt path towards the palace. "I found myself needing advice and i... I'll admit I made some terrible choices. I thought I could just ask my dad for some advice..."

"Nephew..." Iroh frowns a bit. "you could have asked me you know."

"I know uncle." Zuko sighs. "I thought about it, but you've got your own priorities. I can't just go ask you every time I can't decide something."

"then why ask Ozai?" Iroh questions.

"I don't know." He rubs his forehead. "(y/n) helped me see that I'm not nearly as incompetent as I had thought I was. Though... it was already too late for me and Mai by the time I realized I didn't need my father to help me." he stares forward down the path. "Accepting help from the former ruler would only mean I'd be making the choices he would make."

"you realized that all on your own?" Iroh smiles. "indeed you have become wiser in this past few months nephew."

"I'm sorry uncle." Zuko mumbles.

"sorry?" Iroh questions looking over at Zuko.

"I haven't always said nice things to you." Zuko replies turning his head slightly to look at Iroh. "I only just realized that it was all because of your help that I am who I am today. Somebody who can lead the fire nation better than that of my father." he smiles a little bit. "(y/n) was very right when she told me that being the fire lord was a difficult job for anyone... but that because of who I am I truly am the only one that can properly right all the wrongs committed by my father."

Iroh looks at you. "You really said this?"

"uh... yes... but it isn't untrue..." You turn a little red and look at the ground. "anyone would have such a difficult time making choices that effect the whole nation. Only a strong leader can lead his people."

"young advisor." Iroh smiles gently. "you are very wise for one so young. The wisdom of experience is one's greatest weapon. If you continue to learn and take in all things that surround you, then someday you will be able to show others what it means to see the world through unclouded eyes just as i do."

"y-yes sir." You nod to Iroh and look back down the path.

"so what really happened to the carriage?" Iroh asks as you pass by the wreckage of the burnt up carriage.

Zuko chuckles a bit and scratches the back of his head nervously. "well truth be told actually I was attacked on the way to get you from the dock." Zuko frowns. "seems some people still don't like me very much."

Iroh is about to say something but before the words can leave his mouth you're already talking.

"I think it's because you're such a great leader that some people don't like you." You mumble. "people who are scared of change oppose the change even if it is for the better."

Iroh smiles a bit. "that's very true. Some people are just difficult to please young nephew." He puts one hand on top of your head. "you caught yourself a smart advisor fire lord Zuko."

At this both you and Zuko blush a bit. The rest of the walk is long and boring but actually quite fun. Iroh and Zuko talk about their past adventure chasing after the avatar.