Chapter Thirteen.

(This is how I imagine little Eli)

Toxic: Ch. 13

"How do you figure that?"

I sighed as I palmed my face one more time. "Zanos, it's literally right there!" I pointed at the yearbook from our high school year. "It all makes sense, why Nalia seemed a little too old to be a babysitter. Like you said, that's normally a teenager's job." I started but had to pause so I could get my thoughts together and organized.

"It all makes sense how she would never tell me where she was going with Eli. It makes sense why I never noticed her real appearance when I first saw her. I mean, she is the type of person who Kary wanted to be friends with and it doesn't shock me that they're still friends." I sighed as I sat on his bed.

"Oh yeah? Then how come you were so comfortable letting her take Eli with her without telling you? You've seen this babysitter movies and you know how bad they turn out." Zanos raised his brow and I knew he was internally judging me.

"Yeah but, I didn't feel that negativity about her. I thought she was a sweet person but now, I don't think that anymore." I stated and Zanos snorted. "Yeah, after the fact." I glared at him and he put his hands up in surrender. "Why do you think Kary intended to shoot Eli? Why would she want to harm her own son?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. The only thing that I can think of is that custody agreement we signed years ago. It stated how if harm came to Eli, we would be given an amount of money since he is the only and beneficiary child of us." I whispered but deep down inside, I didn't want to believe that Kary would do such a thing like that.

"Do you think she had a reason?"

I clicked my tongue. "Maybe she wanted money. But if she wanted that, why wouldn't she just ask me or ask for welfare? Something's not adding up, to be honest with you." I murmured and Zanos whacked me across the chest. "OUCH! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?" I screeched and he smirked. "Tell me how you got out the house without Nikolai knowing." My eyes widened.

"How'd you figure that?" I asked, trying to play it cool. Maybe he didn't know anything and he's just trying to get under my skin.

"Because Nikolai's been blowing up my phone with calls and texts." Damn it! "Did you turn off your phone, Dominic?" He narrowed his eyes at me and I visibly winced. "Maybe, maybe not." He let out a huff as he shook his head. "Why are you hiding from him? The only reason I'm not telling you're here is because there's something you're not telling him and I want to know." He motioned to me.

"So get to talking."

I sighed, not knowing where to start. I felt like he wouldn't understand where I was coming from because he was happy in his relationship. He had no doubts about it. In fact, he was on his way to adopting a little girl with Alejandro and to me, that says a lot about his happiness.

"It's nothing." I waved my hand at him trying to get him to change the subject because I felt awkward talking about it. It would make me seem like I was worrying over nothing when in fact, this felt like something more.

"Dominic," He whispered my name softly and I squeezed my eyes shut to keep the tears in. I was naturally a sensitive person and Zanos knew the ways to get me to spill my heart, but not today. I felt weird talking about myself because it was sad and I didn't want to make anyone else sad or put a damper on their mood.

They deserved to be happy.

-

"Remember those walls I built, well baby they're tumbling down."

I clenched my fists as the sound of Nikolai's ringtone coming through. As soon as I turned on my phone, it started buzzing with numerous texts and calls, all from Nikolai. My phone wouldn't stop singing Halo because he was still calling me! I don't know why he's so worried. I literally go no where else but to Zanos's house.