Chapter 17 - Part 2

Chapter 17 (Part 2) - Sky

My heart was beating so loud and my breaths came in short pants. Sweat matted my braided hair and my clammy hands barely held the paintball gun firmly in place.

I crouched down and grabbed a fistful of dirt underneath me before I lifted my hand and wiped the dirt on various parts of my battle gear. I stood up and readjusted my knee-pads.

Breathing through my mouth, my feet didn't even make noise as I stealthily made my way towards a bunker made up of enormous rubber tires.

When I reached it, I crouched down almost immediately and prayed to everything that is holy that the hugeness of the tires hid my not-so-small form. I heard a gun go off followed by a strangled shriek and almost immediately, Nick called out to me using the pack link.

Hell yes, Carly is out of the game. His voice echoed in my focused head and I flinched slightly.

Sorry, he apologized. I hit him with a red paintball square in the face, he continued and his hearty laugh filled my mind which caused me to smile.

He was lucky I wasn't there, I told him and inwardly smirked. I would've aimed the paintball at his ass.

This time, I was the one who laughed and images of Carly with a big red stain on his behind invaded my mind.

You're mean, little mate. He scolded although I can sense the amusement in his voice.

You wouldn't have me any other way, I told him with confidence in my voice. Where I got this confidence was beyond me.

That's true, he replied and I can sense the honesty in his words.

I couldn't help myself from saying those three little words, I love you.

I love you, too. He said instantly, warmly and in that moment, I melted into a puddle of glee and contentment.

I'm going to get Jason out of this game, I told him. Catch ya later, alligator. I told him and his chuckle was the last thing I heard before I blocked everything out of my mind.

I strained my ears and inhaled heavily, hoping to catch a sound or the scent of dear old Jason. After discretely sniffing the air several times, I finally picked up a scent that my Wolf was very familiar with.

It was woodsy with a hint of spice in it. It smelled nice but was nowhere as delicious as how my mate smelled like.

His mouthwatering scent consisted of chocolate and coffee with the signature woodsy smell that us Werewolves possess. I know, a peculiar combination but believe me when I say it's addicting.

Of course it is, he and his Wolf are our mates. Angelina, my Wolf, told me in a-matter-of-factly tone and I can imagine her shaking her furry head and hiding her snout between her paws.

It's kind of her way of doing a face-palm. Or more appropriately, a face-paw.

Shaking those thoughts out of my head, I followed the scent and the more that I got close to an inflatable green bunker, the more Jason's aroma got stronger.

I was sure that he thought I was far away because of all the shifting behind the bunker and the fact that I covered myself in dirt helped, too.

I fixed my grip on the paintball gun, or paintball marker, and straightened my back before I stepped ahead to reach the green-colored inflatable.

Wow. Jason couldn't even keep still for a second, I thought to myself. I was three steps away from the bunker and taking a steady breath, I jumped and aimed the marker at whatever was behind the inflatable. I let out a battle cry and pulled the trigger twice.