23. Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Chapter 23

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Waking up on the morning of Elena and Grant’s wedding in the same bed with six other women wasn’t exactly what I’d pictured. 

But then again, having a slumber party as a bachelorette party the night before, complete with movies, junk food, and alcohol replacing the soda wasn’t really what I’d pictured either.  The alcohol, yes, but I was expecting it to be at a bar…with loud music…and male strippers. 

Elena didn’t drink anything, just stuck with water for the night.  She claimed that she didn’t want to be even the slightest bit hung over before the wedding…though the smile that always seemed to be on her face every time I looked at her told me that there was probably something else that had to do with it.

Nevertheless, the bride and all of her bridesmaids all had an amazing time, even complete with prank calling the groom and his groomsmen, who were staying in the opposite side of the manor, several times.  No doubt John would be having a talk with me later about one of those calls. 

I wasn’t the only one awake.  The other bridesmaids – Jenn, Nicole, Megan, Amy, and Clara – were all up, talking from where we all ended up the night before.  I met Clara before at the café after Elena had dyed my hair before mine and John’s first trip and the other girls took me in like they’d known me for years.  All of them Elena had known for years and I was surprised that they’d supported Elena’s decision in making me her maid of honor. 

“You would think that you really were her sister the way she talks about you all the time,” Jenn had said with a laugh.  “It’s so strange, but it’s like I already know you and yet this is the first day that I met you in person.”

But it wasn’t like I only had been with all of them for an hour.  We’d been together the entire day before since the wedding rehearsal the afternoon before, followed by dinner.  We’d spend the entire day together, so I felt like I knew them, too.

“Good, you’re the last one to get up before we wake Elena,” Nicole said quietly, her smile huge. 

“What time is it?” I whispered, sitting up.  I tried to not to move too much since Elena was right beside me. 

“Almost noon.  The stylists will be here in under an hour and Elena has to be out of the shower before they come,” Jenn said. 

The six of us looked down at Elena, still sleeping in the middle of the bed.  I didn’t have to ask to know what they were thinking in how to wake her up and my smile grew as big as theirs were.  One second we were completely and the next we were screaming jumping on the bed.  Unlike what I thought would happen, Elena didn’t jump when we started yelling and laughing.  Instead, she started smiling.  She probably hadn’t even been asleep.

“Wake up, bride-to-be!” we all yelled, still jumping on the bed.

“I’m up, I’m up!” she laughed as she sat up. 

We were all laughing, falling back down on the bed around her as she continued laughing at our display of excitement. 

“Guess what, El?” Clara grinned.

“What?”

“You’re getting married today!”

They all started squealing again, Elena laughing.  But it wasn’t until Elena’s face paled that they stopped, noticing her reaction.