Chapter 6 - Barely breathing

Miles was laying in his own blood as his father sat by his side.
"Son," Mr. H sobbed. "I love you son, please be okay,"
Not long after, the paramedics came. Mr. H held his wife as they wheeled Miles to the ambulance.
Zoë was in the office, answering questions about the shooter. Tristan sat outside, staring at her through the window. She nodded as the police exited the room. She followed behind them until she stopped and answered her phone. Tristan narrowed his eyes to the ground but looked up when she saw Zoë rushing out of the office.
"Tristan!!" She said, crying. "Miles' has been shot! They took him to the hospital!" She sobbed. Tristan stood up as took a deep breath.
"No way...I...I don't believe you. He's fine he said he's going to be fine!!!" Tristan cried. "We have to go see him!"
"HOW? We don't drive," Zoë replied. Owen appeared and placed his hand on his brothers shoulder.
"No but I do," he looked at them. Tristan walked towards the school door.
"I'll be waiting in the car,"
Zoë walked towards Owen and hugged him.
"Thank you Owen," she said. "You're kinda nice," Owen smiled at her and nodded.
"Uh, lets go, Tristan's gonna throw a fit if we don't get going," Owen told the dark haired girl. Zoë smiled at him.

When they arrived at the hospital, the first two people they saw was Mr. And Mrs. Hollingsworth. Tristan rushed towards Miles' mom and hugged her tightly. She broke down.
"It's going to be okay," Tristan assured her even though he knew deep inside there was still a very tiny chance that Miles wouldn't. Mr. Hollingsworth patted Tristan's shoulder and smiled.
"I'm going to get something for us to drink. Tristan, stay here with Mrs. H and keep her company would ya," Tristan nodded and Mr. H proceeded to the their direction. Zoë, Tristan and Mrs. H sat down. Zoë's phone rang and she stepped to the side to take it.
Tristan held Mrs. H's hand the whole time. She sighed.
"Miles told me something...before he got shot," she said. Tristan slowly raised his head.
"Oh? What did he say?" Tristan asked.
"He said that he's gay..." Tristan narrowed his eyes to the ground and nodded.
"Oh," Tristan stood up when a group of doctors rushed towards them.
"Mrs. Hollingsworth?" One doctor clothed in dark blue scrubs said. Mrs. H stood up and came forward.
"Yes? Is it my son? How is he doing?" She was so eager to find answers. The doctor glanced quickly at Tristan and sighed.
"Your son has suffered a GSW to the chest. The bullet was located 8.5 centimeters from his heart and we've removed it without having to do any big surgery. He's very very lucky, ma'am. We want to keep him here for observation. He still hasn't woken up. He's probably very tired,"
Mrs. H curled into Tristan's arms and cried. She was very happy that Miles was going to be okay. Tristan closed his eyes and thought thank God. Mr. H came and put his arm around his wife.
"Hey the doctors are here, is my boy okay?" He asked. The doctor laughed and gestured his hand to his wife.
"She will tell you what I said. He's going to be fine. A nurse will escort you to see him when you're ready," the doctor waved before he left behind the large automatic doors. Mrs. H and Mr. H hugged for a while, both of them crying. Pure joy. Tristan sat back down.
"Tristan, why don't you go check on him, sweetie. Maybe he'll wake up if he hears your voice," Mrs. H told him. Tristan shook his head in response.
"No no, you're his parents. You guys should see him first," Tristan replied, crossing his arms. Mr. H shook his head.
"Go head, Tristan. We will tell Zoë where you are," he told Tristan. Tristan smiled and went to the nurses station.
"Miles Hollingsworth III," he told them. The nurse nodded and showed him to where Miles was.
"Okay room 32e, you can't stay very long because he needs his rest, okay hun," Tristan nodded in response to what the nurse told him. There he was. Hooked up to a machine and wires and lines attached to his body. He was wearing his hospital gown and his face was pale. His feet was elevated and his hands were wrapped in gauze.
Tristan sat beside his best friend and sighed heavily.
"So...I never really got to reply to you back at school when you told me how you felt. I mean, guess I was pretty shaken. But I guess I'll reply to you now," he said to him. "I didn't...like I never pictured you...being gay. Like I've thought about it. Being with you and liking you but...I knew you, or I thought I knew you were as straight as a ruler. I know weird analogy but...Zoë told me you liked me since ever since. She said you were scared to ruin our friendship. Miles, just know..." he started to choke up. His voice trembled with every word he tried to say. "...just know that...I'd never let anything ruin our friendship. Besides Zoë, you are basically the other friend who I can rely on. You're always so sincere and you always cared. If I was happy, sad, mad, hungry. You'll always be my best friend," Tristan said to Miles, caressing his hand.
"Maybe when you wake up, we can talk about this. But you should rest first. I'll see you later tonight," Tristan got up and kissed Miles on his forehead. Just before Tristan was about to turn away, Miles immediately grabbed his hand.
"No...don't go. Stay with me," he whispered. Tristan's face lit up like a cherry tomato.
"You're awake," he said, sitting back down.
"I've been awake for a while. I just decided to close my eyes and then I heard you talking," Miles said. He intertwined his hands with Tristan.
"So let's talk...about us. I mean, is there an us?" Miles asked, looking into Tristan's eyes. Tristan bit his lip and nodded in response to Miles' question.
"Yeah? Really? You wanna like...be my boyfriend?" Miles asked, sounding excited. Tristan sighed, still keeping that cute smile on his face.
"Yes. Now be quiet and get some rest," Tristan stood up and kissed Miles on the lips. Miles chuckled.
"Can't wait to be doing that all the time," he said to his new boyfriend. Zoë knocked on the door and a smile formed on her face.
"Awww, aren't you two the cutest," she teased. Miles laughed.
"We're together, you were right, Zoë," he told her. Zoë raised an eyebrow and grinned.
"Aren't I always? Well I'm glad you're okay. It would've sucked if you weren't because I enjoy your company," Zoë said as she wrapped her hand around Tristan.