Chapter 2

"Alex! What the hell man? How the hell are we all supposed to fit back there," Emery asked, looking at me pointedly.

"What's up with the fat jokes today? Leave. My. Sister. Alone."

To show them how serious he was, his eyes changed from the golden hazel color that we shared to a deep black. They all turned away, they had to. Looking in those eyes, his wolf's eyes, made you feel like you would be falling forever into a dark abyss. That's how dark his eyes were.

"Dude. Chill it wasn't a fat joke. It's two seats and five of us. I know you suck at math but jeez... Why didn't you drive that truck you got yesterday," Emery asked.

Alex tried to shush him before he finished but it was too late, I had already heard.

"You bought me a car?"

"More like I bought you a truck. I remember you saying you wanted one for our next road trip," he replied to me. I scooted forward and hugged him from behind the seat.

"Thanks, Alex," I shouted as I hugged him tighter.

Maxon cleared his throat; still not turning to look at him I sat back and leaned against the window. I inhaled deeply and came across a manly musk and a sweet vanilla smell. I shrugged it off thinking it was just my perfume and Alex's mixed together.

Can we get to school now? My mate is probably there waiting for me, my wolf commented.

I blocked her out and tuned back into the real world. They were still trying to figure out how we were all going to fit. I had already had an idea of how we were all going to fit, but I was going to let one of them figure it out on their own. They were all waiting for Alex to make up his mind on what to do. I sighed. At this rate, we were going to miss homeroom and be late to first period. But just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, they did.

"Why don't we just lap up," Maxon offered.

Everybody looked at him like he was the smartest person in the world. I'm sure if I had suggested that then I would've been trying to make a move on Maxon, and then would have been horrible. I inhaled and exhaled.

There it goes again, I thought. That damn smell. What is that? It smells so good.

"And who are you lapping up with Maxon," Vanessa asked.

I rolled my eyes as she, Annie, and Natalie shared a small giggled that Alex quickly ended. I knew she was trying to be funny, but I didn't care, I wanted to hear his answer too, and by the looks of it, so did everyone else that was around the car.

"Who else do you think? Nova," he replied like it was an everyday thing that happened but was that a hint of a struggle somewhere buried in that statement?

I watched as Emery and Juan looked at him with cocked heads like the dogs they were, but I knew that they didn't and wouldn't say anything to him. What with him being Alpha and all.

"No funny business Ellis," Alex said from the front.

Alex watched my face through the rear-view mirror trying to make sure I was cool with all of this; I knew he'd bail on everyone if I wasn't and I was in no mood to be the public enemy number one today, so I nodded.

I watched cautiously as Maxon jogged around to the drivers' side and opened my door. I was still leaning against the window, so as soon as he opened it, I started to fall out of the car and before I could catch myself Maxon caught me.

My heart was beating fast and the strange smell was burning my nostrils. It was Maxon. He was what I was smelling, and God does he smell good, I told myself moaning in my head.