Day 1, 18:35

DAY 1, 18:35

I must be the illegitimate daughter of Luck in my past life. And because I'm hanging out with these crazy girls, my innate luck blessed them too.

With a 'whoop', I threw myself down on the soft, downy mattress in the middle of the plain, whitewashed room. The room was tiny, but since the air conditioner was working perfectly and there were no cockroaches crawling around, I was perfectly cool with it. Our current lodgings were only two streets away from the airport (ain't that miraculous?), and we had one two-queen bed suite together with the cheapest single room available. If this wasn't called lucky, then I didn't know what is.

Since we were on tight budget, the seven of us agreed that instead of booking single rooms or bunk-bed rooms, it would be more economical to simply squeeze into a large room and divide the costs. The two-queen bed suite was the largest available lodging that Jump Hostel could offer. Even if we borrow an extra mattress, it could only accommodate five people at most. We would be like sardines in a can if we insist on the seven of us rooming together.

Incidentally, the cheapest single room was unoccupied too so we decided to book that too.

Since my and Mint's frames were on the slender side, the girls reasoned that we could comfortably sleep on a single bed with space to spare. Thus, the five evil ladies I call friends dumped us poor siblings in the corner of the sixth floor while they sashayed to the second floor. And I even wanted us to draw lots to determine where to sleep. That would be called fair right?Ah, Justice, where art thou?

But on the other hand, Yol did lost to me on a bet. My generous friend would be grudgingly paying for my part. Hah! Thinking about it, there's no reason for me to complain anymore. 

Mint immediately rummaged through her bag. I thought she would be showering, but the first thing she did was charge her phone. The addict. Mumbling, I said, "Hey, charge my phone too, ugly girl. Take responsibility."

"Say please."

"Nya-da."

"Why not?"

"My birth right to order you."

"That's so prehistoric."

"Whatever."

"Then you can charge your phone yourself."

She slumped on the carpeted floor like she did back in the airport lobby, completely indifferent about everything else. My sister is such a tomboy. Or was it more appropriate to say that she has zero social awareness?

"Please charge my phone, oh lovely goddess? Please with macaroni on top?" I begged shamelessly, even cooing like a baby. Currently, I was wrapped within the blanket like a giant shanghai roll. Nothing could make me move from this bed. Well, unless there's an emergency, like when a member of the International Hot Guys Day knocks on the door and asks for my hand in marriage. "And please don't draw on my face when I sleep,"

I remembered that horrible time several weeks ago when she used sharpie to make fake eyebrows and moustache on my delicate face. When I attended my first morning class, my freshly scrubbed face was so red everyone thought I had an allergy attack. Disastrous, I tell you. Even my crush in my block, Logan Cruz, laughed at me.

"Then stop making a silly face when you sleep," she said in a dull voice. After getting my phone and finding another outlet to charge it, she sat on the floor again, completely immersed in that Mystic whatever game she's playing. I wonder if it's really fun. How tempting.

"Silly?" I made an adorable pout, smoothly fingering my lips and cheek. "FYI, this is a million-dollar face."

I thought she wasn't listening, but Mint made a comeback that made my hackles rise. "Elizabeth 3rd's necklace is worth much more than your face."

"I don't understand what you're saying, but I think you just insulted me."

She rolled her eyes before getting her attention back on the game. Okay, ignore me you brat. Just you wait. I'm gonna torture you once we're back in Manila.

Out of nowhere, a standard message ringtone echoed inside the room. Confused, I turned towards the direction of the sound. That's not my phone as mine had a farting sound for incoming texts, and obviously, not my sister's either. Mint liked to turn her phone on Vibrate Mode. She claimed that sounds were distracting. 

"Whose is that?" Did someone left his or her phone here?

"Oh." Mint had a rare surprised expression as she scampered to her bag. From the front pocket, she pulled out an unfamiliar and dirty touchscreen with cracks all over it, like it was accidentally stepped on by someone. My brows furrowed. "Where on earth did you pick that?"

"I found it by the road. I almost forgot."

"I'm surprised it's still working." I peered closer. It was in complete shambles. "Looks like it has been through hell and back."

"That's harsh."

"Check if we can find the owner."

"Already doing that."

"Or you can call one of the contacts."

"I know."

Of course, my all-knowing sister knows. Sometimes, I forget that she's less than ten years old because of her attitude. I stuck out my tongue at her before burying my face on the pillow. Only a pillow could understand the heartache of a girl being bullied by her genius of a lil' sis. Hu. I wanna cry again.

"I can't understand what I'm clicking. The words are not in English," Mint sighed after a minute.

My eyes widened. "Then the owner is a foreigner!"

"Uh, you don't have to be Einstein to know that," she deadpanned.

See? My lower lip quivered. "Why are you so cruel to me? You're bullying me huu~"

Despite her pokerface, I could see the apology in her eyes. But I know she's not gonna say sorry, because that's not her style. Instead, she scooted closer to me and pulled the blanket so that we're sharing. I smiled.

Glancing at the screen, I could see familiar characters. "It's in Korean."

"Can you read it?"

"Not really." I yawned. I liked Korean boys because they look like dolls, but I never bothered learning another language. That's just trouble knocking. 'Coz if you hadn't noticed yet, I'm kinda dumb. "Just look for the app with a phone on it then click the first contact number you see."

My eyes felt kinda heavy, like something incessantly was pulling it down. I yawned again. "I'm gonna nap for a while. Wake me up for dinner, 'kay?"

" 'Kay."

I could hear Mint's rhythmic tap-tap-tap before I finally succumbed to drowsiness. So comfortable. The last thing I heard was her soft exclaim, "Oh. There's a Mystic Messenger app too!"

Ah, I thought it was owned by a foreign guy. My fantasy of having an encounter with a handsome man pitifully disintegrated like a sand castle. Sad.

Well, whatever.

Then, I dozed off to sleep, ignorant of the fact that the sister I loved and hated so much was gradually fading beside me, leaving nothing but a broken phone.