10. Sunlight and Soft Things

It had been a long night, and Dinah did not want to be woken up again.

She never wanted to be woken up, not really, but this was a whole new level. The incessant rustling of the sheets on Lauren's side of the bed was starting to get very, very annoying, and she had work in the morning.

Everything had started out fine in the evening, with a takeout pizza and Lauren snuggled up to her side on the couch.

It had been fine when Lauren started rubbing her shoulders after mumbling something about tension patterns.

It had been more than fine when the rubbing her shoulders had turned into rubbing her thighs and then suddenly Lauren was kneeling on the floor with Dinah's leg over her shoulder, and Dinah was trying not to smother her by accident, moaning into her own palm.

Fine had briefly become incredible when Lauren was bent over the dining room table, hands fisted desperately in the new olive green tablecloth.

Things had started to go south when Lauren had woken her up the first time by stumbling out of bed at midnight and returning with an entire quart of coffee ice cream and a jug of orange juice, looking like she was 100% ready to eat it all right there in bed.

Dinah had told her off, not wanting to buy new sheets when Lauren inevitably got food stains on them, and a pouting Lauren had padded dejectedly back to the kitchen.

Naturally, Dinah had followed her.

And naturally, Lauren, now running on a caffeine high, hadn't been able to fall asleep again for hours after. She'd passed the time tossing and turning in bed next to Dinah, scrolling through her phone, and at one point, disappearing into the bathroom for a good half hour until Dinah barged in and found her doing a full face of makeup in the middle of the night for no reason at all. Once the makeup was gone, Lauren was snuggled up to Dinah's back again, arms wrapped tight around her waist, and everything was fine again.

That is, until four thirty in the morning, when Dinah had woken up again to find the bed empty and Lauren standing in front of the open refrigerator, crying helplessly.

Dinah's alarm had turned into exasperation, and she had pulled Lauren sleepily into her chest and walked her back to the bedroom as she whimpered about needing a quesadilla - or, as a tearful Lauren had put it, fifty quesadillas. With peanut butter.

Eventually, Lauren had passed out on Dinah's chest, Dinah's hand stroking through her hair soothingly, and Dinah had sighed in relief and fallen back to sleep.

Which left her where she was now: exhausted, irritated, and alone on her side of the bed, resenting that Lauren wasn't wrapped around her like she always was.

The rustling of the sheets and the little huffing noises Lauren was making might've been cute if Dinah wasn't so frustrated about not being pressed against her.

Dinah pulled the covers over her head and tried to go back to sleep, but she couldn't get comfortable. The bed felt cold, and her heartbeat didn't seem to be able to slow like it normally would without someone else's to follow.

Maybe she could hug a pillow, if Lauren was insistent on sleeping restlessly. That could keep her warmer.

She was about to grab for one, when Lauren made a soft whimpering noise from behind her. Frowning, Dinah turned over, squinting to try to see her wife in the faint light that slanted through the window from the streetlights.

Lauren was curled up in fetal position, facing towards Dinah, one of her hands holding tight to her pillow. There was another whimper, and Dinah reached over, worried, to rest her hand on Lauren's side.