6. Selfless

The nail salon was strangely quiet, with only a pair of middle aged regular customers being taken care of in the corner, and Dinah was sitting on a stool, leaning on the front desk and moping. It was the fourth time she'd heard the same Taylor Swift song in the same day, and she was seriously tempted to put in her earbuds and lose herself in some R&B.

Lauren had wanted her to stay home. She'd been soft and sleepy and clingy, curling into Dinah and pressing her face into her chest, asking her in a small voice to call in sick. Dinah wished she had.

Her phone buzzed against her leg, and she pulled it out of her pocket to see three new texts from Lauren.

From: Mama <3 - 12:43 PM

hi baby <3

From: Mama <3 - 12:45 PM

I hope they changed the radio station at work today

From: Mama <3 - 12:45 pm

I'm not sure I can handle another night of you singing blank space nonstop

Dinah smiled, happy to be distracted, and typed a reply.

From: My Lioness - 12:46 PM

hi babygirl

From: My Lioness - 12:46 PM

I'm not sure I can handle it either

The typing bubble popped up, and Dinah smiled even wider when she saw Lauren's response.

From: Mama <3 - 12:47 PM

when the baby finally kicks, it's gonna be because it's tired of hearing you singing the same pop songs over and over again

From: My Lioness - 12:47 PM

I can't wait :)

From: Mama <3 - 12:47 PM

me neither

There was a pause. Dinah sighed, and pictured her wife, probably on the couch in one of Dinah's old t-shirts and those little black booty shorts, smiling down at her phone, with her free hand resting protectively on her belly. She was shaken out of her daydreams when another text from Lauren appeared.

From: Mama <3 - 12:50 PM

I wish you hadn't gone to work, the house is too quiet

From: Mama <3 - 12:50

I miss you

From: Mama <3 - 12:51 PM

I think the baby misses you too, I haven't been able to eat without feeling nauseous

From: Mama <3 - 12:51

not even born yet and it's already throwing fits when you leave

Dinah bit her lower lip, her heart melting, and thanked whatever God was listening (again) for giving her Lauren so soon in her life. Lauren had fallen right into her lap - or, rather, right into a chair at this salon - and chosen Dinah before Dinah could even figure out how she felt about it.

Dinah didn't mind, though. Lauren might have chosen her first, but she had never really tried to stop her.

From: My Lioness - 12:53 PM

I guess the baby takes after you then

Grinning as she pressed send, Dinah imagined Lauren gasping in fake offense. Sure enough, Lauren's response popped up a moment later.