Lexi herded them into the cave behind the waterfall, and it didn't take long before all heads turned toward the cavernous ceiling - the resting place of the lesser hydras. The fantastic beasties huddled in a mass, hanging upside down by sharp talons, their thick iridescent wings snugged around them. While their enchanting qualities made them look like a carnival attraction, Lexi desperately hoped they would sleep through their visit, as a hydra swarm would not go far in endearing her friends to the underworld.

"What in the name of chastity are those?" Odessa said in voice just above a whisper.

"They're lesser hydras," Jules offered. "I've seen them before. They usually fly in packs. I think they call it a swarm."

"Like a swarm of bees?" Jolie took a step backward, and Jules grabbed her hand, pulling her toward him before she slipped off the mouth of the cave.

"Don't worry," he said. "They shouldn't swarm if we don't disturb them."

Jolie nodded mutely as she dragged her gaze away from the hydras to focus on Jules' eyes. Someone cleared his throat, which warbled over the sound of the falls, and Hypnos followed his voice out of the shadow of the cave.

"It takes a great deal more than a splash to arouse the hydras," Hypnos said, his sultry voice tumbling out of his mouth like water over rocks. Lexi had spoken with Hypnos many times, and learned that he used his voice as a form of hypnosis. This was his gift, lulling both mortals and gods into slumber through vocal seduction. Lexi knew their time in the cave needed to be brief, or she would be toting gods back to the palace to put them to bed.

"Pleasant day to you, Hypnos." Lexi bowed her respect, finding it difficult not to stare at his lithe, sculpted body barely concealed under a black toga. Of course, she wasn't the only one doing it. "I apologize for interrupting your sleep, first of all, and I want to thank you for agreeing to participate in the scavenger hunt."

"You know I would never deny you anything you request of me, Lady Lexi." Hynpos lifted his lips, a leisurely process that culminated in a dashing smile. This provoked a gasp and a giggle from someone behind Lexi. She assumed it was Chromia. The bouncy, platinum-haired goddess tended to exhibit more nymph qualities than godly ones. "I hope you are enjoying your birthday."

Lexi swallowed as she attempted to maintain her poise in front her party guests. "It has been wonderful, so far. Have you come up with a worthy question to ask us? I assume you still have the coin?"

Hypnos swept his hand behind his ear, performing a sleight-of-hand maneuver, and when he opened his palm, the gold piece was there. "I have been tasked by the lovely lady of the palace to ask you a question about my life as a god of the underworld. This question should pose little challenge to anyone who remembers the story of the Achaeans and the Trojan War. They were losing the battle, which greatly distressed Hera. She devised a plan to trick Zeus into slumber to give the Achaeans time to strengthen their numbers. Hera enlisted my help, but I had to disguise myself so as not to invite his wrath. Using her godly gifts, Hera gave me a different form so I could appear to Zeus but not arouse his suspicion. What form did I take?"

The young gods looked thoughtful, standing like mannequins in a store window. No doubt, they were not just contemplating the answer, but also feeling the powerful caress of Hynpos' vocal enchantment. Tara clicked her tongue as she stepped forward, appearing to have an immunity to Hypnos' gift.

"You were changed into a bird," she said.

A sly grin overtook Hypnos' smooth features as he surveyed Tara. Did he know she was responsible for the humiliation of several formidable gods in the Square of Heroes? "Very good. What is your name and your parentage?" he asked as he handed the coin over.

"My name is Tara, descendant of Dionysus and captain of the female Olympic track and field team."

Her answer prompted an even wider grin from Hypnos, but she ignored him, giving her attention to the coin as she spun it between her fingers with easy dexterity.

"Ah, yes. I thought I recognized you, Tara," he crooned. "A chaste goddess. At least, in your waking hours."

Tara's eyes snapped up to meet his acute gaze, but her voice abandoned her as she took a humble step backward. Everyone kept their mouths shut, which was probably a good idea.

"Thank you for humoring me on my birthday, Hypnos," Lexi said, the words spilling out in a rush. "I wish you a pleasant rest. We will take our leave."

As Lexi waved her guests out of the cave, she threw a furtive glance at Hypnos over her shoulder, her eyebrows raised in mock chastisement. He shrugged innocently but didn't seem apologetic for sharing Tara's secret. Through Hades, Lexi had learned of the liberties Hypnos took with the gods and mortals he seduced into sleep. He could read the intent of dreams and manipulate them as well. Knowing Hypnos had grown fond of Lexi, she was not so naïve to think he wasn't extracting pleasure from her while she slept. Strangely, this didn't bother her, as long as she woke up in the arms of her lover.