CHAPTER EIGHT // I LIKE WOOD

I didn't become invested in men. Not emotionally. Not financially. Rarely Physically.

But I had become invested in Ean Hunter.

The part that scared me?

It had taken me less than forty-eight hours to get there.

I walked forward and the more I looked, the more evidence I saw of her and the baby. It was all towards the back of the room. He'd been slowly piling, random items and using the room as storage.

I reached out and touched the pink frill of a dress as it lied crammed in a box. I ran my fingertips over it and then I pulled back, taking in more and more items as my eyes came across them.

My step paused, I didn't remembered a baby in the photos...

There hadn't been a baby in the photos. There should have been!

I rushed out of the room, needing evidence of the child. I moved quickly, running down the dark hall and into the living room.

My hands were frantic as I came back to the nightstand and I ripped it open. I pulled out the photos and sat to the bed and then I started to flip through them.

There wasn't a baby.

People took photos of their babies, or at least I thought they did!

I got through all forty or so images and dropped them to the bed in defeat. Sighing, I looked around the room, starting to noticed things I hadn't before.

The things on his dresser, nicknacks. They weren't the most manly of items. The bedspreads. A soft pattern of cream inlaid flowers.

“Shit.” I couldn't believe I'd been so blind!

He hadn't hid her at all. She was everywhere in the house, I just hadn't been looking.

I stacked up his photos neatly and put them back, noticing a vanilla envelope. My fingers paused and I pulled it out. Flimsy. Nothing.

I peeked inside and then my heart stopped.

I couldn't do this, I put it all back and slammed the door of the nightstand. To say I was stunned would be putting it lightly. I was far more than stunned, I was in shock.

Put me back in my beamer and let merot in shock!

I dropped my forehead to my palms and took a few moments to process. I needed something to do. I couldn't just sit in silence while he was gone out into a snow storm... all because of me.

Why had he left!

I wish I had my blackberry but that likely wouldn't have had reception or a computer... How I would have loved to been able to just look at my email! Then all I really wanted was Elizabeth. God, I wanted to hear my best friend's voice. She was always so reasonable.

My feet dragged as I walked back into the living room. Looking around the neat house, I moved around it. I needed to look at everything to see how much I had missed.

And I had missed a lot.

Just like the bedroom, she was there.

I stopped at the bookshelf near the kitchen and studied the items it housed.

Novels.

Romances...

I pulled one out and looked it over. I was confused on why she read them, she had obviously lived the tales. I slipped it back on the shelf and continued to look them over. Till I came to a bottom shelf full of records.