CHAPTER FIVE // RED WINE PUDDLE

I had obviously fallen asleep on his couch. That was apparent from my aching cheek pressed to the arm and stiff neck. However, I was warm.

I opened my eyes and rubbed my face, my cheeks were flushed from the heat of the fire burning. I lied still a moment and listened to the cracking and popping. It was calming sound. Sort of like when I went to spa... ah, the spa.

I heard a bang and the door slammed shut, causing a cool breeze to shoot in. Followed suit was Ean, struggling with a... tree?

I blinked and sat up, “What are you doing?”

“Oh, you're up?” He brought the tree to the left of the fireplace, “What do you think?”
“What the heck is that?” I stared at the five foot nothing, oddly shaped, sparse tree.

“Christmas tree.” He smiled at me, I was starting to notice that Ean was an overly happy man with little worries. I then came to the conclusion that it was because he did not live in reality. How could one live in reality out in the middle of no where?

I nodded, “Yeah...”

He fixed it in the base, “Want to hold it straight for me, while I tighten it in this thing?”

I blinked at him, “Umm...”

“It's not heavy.” He assured me.

I stared at his still happy face, “Yeah, okay...” I huffed, getting up slowly. I walked over, looking for a place to hold on to.

“Right here.” He wanted me to hold it where he was by the tiny base.

I reached out and grabbed on to his hand.

Ean looked to me, “Amy... I need my hand.”

“Oh... oh yeah.” Let got and held above his, cringing as I touched it, “Do it fast.” I couldn't believe I was holding a live tree up to what... decorate it?

He slid under the sparse branched and started to twist something, grunting slightly.

I watched him, “Why don't you get one of those fake trees?”

“Why...” He huffed, “Would I do that? There.” He got up as I still held the tree.

He lifted an eyebrow at me, “Amy, you can let it go.”

I let it go slowly, hoping to god it would not fall on me.

“What do you think?” He stepped back from it.

Think of what? Your bush whacked Christmas tree?

I glanced at him and he was actually waiting for an answer from me, “Umm... it's great. Rustic...”

He laughed, “Rustic? I like rustic. I'll go get some lights and ornaments.” Then walked down the hall where the bathroom was located and into a back room.

I sat back down and stared at the tree as I listened to him shuffling around in the back of the house. I noticed the large stack of wood now to the side of fireplace, he'd obviously kept busy while I'd been passed out. He seemed to like mindless tasks...

He returned with one big box, “Christmas in a box.” Then dropped it near me on the ground, he ripped the tape off and opened it.

I watched him, “I think I'll just supervise.” The Christmas spirit wasn't something that came easily to me.

He looked up, “You don't want to help?”

“Not really.” I grumbled.

He pulled out some lights, “I don't think I can do this alone though...” His voice was half enticing.