Chapter 8

'There is a family friend of ours who is looking for an educated and responsible lady to take care of her household while she is away. She travels a lot. And when she is back she  needs company because her two kids are almost always not around. Would you like that?' Anisa asked her.

Laura smiled lightly ' I think that arrangement will be fine'.

Laura was on the move again. How did that happen? Well it was definitely not because of her little fight with Jamila. In fact because of the fight, Anisas mother had recognised Laura. She knew her long ago from when they where friends with Jamilas before her death. She had extended her condolences on both parents death. The spat had in an odd way increased the respect they had for her. Even Fadil had come thrice to visit his 'sister' but Laura had done anything in her power to avoid him and when she had found herself in the same room with him, she avoided his gaze like he was Medusa.

Anyway, after everything Laura decided to make herself scarce. She did only what was necessary but not more. Anisa had tried engaging her in conversation but Laura just replied with smiles and short answers. She understood that the woman needed company because her husband was grumpy and boring as a beast but she just did not feel it. Speaking of him. Laura had noticed changes in his behaviour generally, towards his wife..they were mushier, more familial. Towards her...he smiled and acknowledged her more. Which was something.

One day Anisa had gone to a friends house while Laura was doing the dishes. She was following Ed Sheerans Photograph and was experiencing that heart melting feeling that always came with the song when she felt a hand on her back. She froze...literally.  Her mind stopped working, her breathing hitched and she felt the air around her go still.

The hand snaked round and rested on her stomach. Her heart was beating wildly. She was alone in the house, the guard was probably asleep and she was washing a cup, a plastic cup. Not the right weapon against a possible murderer or rapist. She thought of the 999 ways to escape within a millisecond but she was seriously out of options.

Then the body moved closer but did not touch hers, she could feel the persons warmth and his breath fanning her neck. She could feel goosepimples all over her body.

'Laura' the person whispered in a hoarse voice. She re-froze because she never in a million years would have guessed it was him.

'What are you doing?' She asked, her voice shakey. She tried to move away from him but he tightened his hold.  And used his other hand to hold the end of the sink thereby securing her infront of him.

'Taking what you've been offering of course' he chuckled 'you know i recognize all the signs. You acting all cool and dismissive when I'm around. Not acknowledging my presence but staring at me when I'm not looking.  I've tried to avoid it but you are one hell of a temptress' he leaned closer and placed his lips on her ear ''you win!'.

'Taheer. I am so sorry if i give you the wrong message but i did not in anyway mean that. You read it all wrong. Please just let me go and we shall pretend this never happened '.

He laughed dryly  and ran his fingers through her hair which she let down thinking she was alone in the house.

'Hey you don't have to be scared.  We are alone and Anisa won't be back till much later. We have the whole house to ourselves baby' she felt like gagging. He was disgusting.  How could he try to seduce her just because his wife was not around?. She had no never pegged him for that kind of man, arrogant  yes but not unloyal, but then with men you can never know. A year ago she did not know that Uncle Bello will ask for her hand in marriage, the few bad eggs where doing a good job at ruining the reputation of men in her eyes. 'I could give you a better life Laura you are not cut out for domestic work. You deserve to be treated like a queen, i can make that happen if you just cooperate'.