Chapter 23: a new start

"Dakota", a soft voice spoke. I stirred in my sleep. "Dakota", the voice spoke again but this time I woke up.

My head was hurting and there was a weird tingling sensation on my neck. I took in my surroundings and it was her!

"Moon goddess", I whispered in astonishment. She gave me a sad smile. "What happened?", I asked but suddenly everything came back.

"Where's Blake?!", I started to panic a little. I tried sitting up but there was excruciating pain in my neck.

"Calm down child. For now he's passed out on his bed but not for long. Here take these. Now I need you to listen to me", she gave me clothes, paused then continued.

"I'm going to start the spirit switching process and you have to be holding him the whole time. He may do and say bad things but it will all be worth it", she said. As she spoke, I got dressed.

I nodded and reached my hand out. The moon goddess walked over to me and turned so I could support myself on her back.

Her fur was soft like silk and fluffy. I limped over to the bed and slowly sat down. When I turned around to thank her, she was gone.

Suddenly a scream pierced the room. Eric. I moved closer to him even though I didn't want to. my hand went around his but he kept trying to get my hand off his but I held on tight.

"You, you did this to me", he accused. I just ignored him. "I should have killed you", he said.

As he said this I reached my finger tips to my neck. Three scratch marks that were already healing.

"I can't", he started but screamed before he could even finish.

~~~hours later~~~~~~~~

Blake had just passed out and it doesn't even seem like he's breathing. 'Moon goddess are you done, please I can't watch him in pain forever'

I waited for a while but got no response. Ok now Blake is really worrying me.

I put my head on his chest but heard nothing. His chest wasn't even rising at least a little bit.

"Ace, Ace!", I yelled I shook him over and over again. Tears were already forming in my eyes and a few were actually coming down.

He wasn't moving still. 'You said you were just switching his wolf not his life. What the hell'

At this point tears were coming down freely. I'm laying down on top of Ace's body with my face in the crook of his neck, inhaling his scent.

"I'm so sorry", I whispered then kissed his neck. He stirred a little, I gasped and held on to him tighter.

Suddenly he shot up with a large intake of air. "Ace", I yelled. He looked down at me since I was still holding him.

His eyes were pitch black just like Blakes. Out of instinct, I whimpered and crawled away.

'Child, you must leave before the human takes control' Ace immediately whimpered back and put his arms up in surrender.

I knew I can't be here anymore so I just ran. I ran down the stairs and outside. The breeze that runs through my hair feels nice.

The sun warms my skin and the clouds look fluffy and soft. It's been a while since I've actually been outside. The first place I went to was Jerrica's house.

"J, I'm home", I yelled as I walked in. There was just silence and a really bad smell. I covered my nose since wolves sense of smell is better.

"J?", I yelled as I walked into the kitchen. She was cooking something. "Oh my god, Dakota were have you been?", she asked.

"It's a long story but where's the pack?", I asked all excited to see them. She looked down in sadness.

"J, what's wrong. Where are they?", I asked. "They left Dakota. Jacob came and took them. I'm sorry", she said. Well that explains the smell.

"Oh. I guess it doesn't matter since they're not my pack anymore.", I said but I felt really disappointed.

"No there's still a chance to get them back. He only beat the one in charge at the time. He never beat you", she said.

My eyes lit up at this newly given information. "What am I going to do about the alpha here? He doesn't know me.", I said.

She gave a confused look which I returned with an 'I don't want to talk about it' look.

"I don't know but what I do know is that he is less likely to kill you because of your strength. You may be rogue but you have alpha blood, making you a very powerful one", she explained.

"Hey you're right. All I have to do is ask for his help again", I said. J just nodded her head while smiling. I ran up stairs and jumped on my bed, ready for a new day. A new start.