Chapter #11: The Incident

"I still can't believe you agreed to tutoring me," he said with a proud smile as we walked through the school hallways.

"Trust me... Me, neither."

He then continued, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Well, someone's enthusiastic today, isn't she?"

All I could do was scoff at him. "Shut up. Isn't your class the other way, anyway?"

"If it was...?"

I stared at him for a second, then literally pushed his face away from mine with the palm of my hand. "Go. Now."

"Aw... You're no fun." His bottom lip was out to reveal a pathetic (yet sarcastic) pout.

"Just go, you'll be late," I accidentally let out a soft giggle.

He winked at me, then turned tail, running to his next class as icon to us to walk around.

He's kinda cute, sometimes... Ah, what am I saying? Well... I haven't exactly been able to think straight since—

Boom.

Fire.

Can't breathe.

Dizzy.

Darkness.

Floor.

A strong pair of arms carry me to safety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The alarm began to blare, making my ears almost feel like they were going to bleed.

"Mom?!? Dad?!? Where are you?!? Help!!!" Tears were streaming down my face as I desperately called for my family.

Suddenly, my bedroom door broke down.

"Dad!"

His strong arms hoisted me up on his shoulder.

"Where's Mom?"

No answer.

"Where's Mom?!?"

"It doesn't matter where she is! You need to get out... Now!" He took me to the porch connected to his and Mom's bedroom, getting ready to throw me off.

"Dad! Stop! I'm scared!" I wrapped my arms around him. I wasn't going anywhere.

"GO! NOW!"

I saw him weeping as well. "Come down right after me! You better!"

"You have my word." He flashed me a sad smile, just before throwing me off of the edge, giving me just enough time to braise for impact.

My father was hopping, struggling to get his leg over the barrier. "H...Help!!!"

Right before my eyes, flames engulfed the balcony, burning the wood, causing the platform to fall to the ground.

Along with him.

The only sounds I heard were my heart beat and the terrifying crunch of my father's bones.

I shrieked.

I ran. I ran as far as I could muster.