She clenched the muscles in her bubbling stomach, forced her hands to her side and pulled in a deep breath. Meg had spotted her and halted in the center of the hall, waiting. A hum of anticipation ran up and down the hall when all the haters stopped minding their own business to watch hers. Bailey ignored them and started walking.

Meg had the decency to look apologetic. “Bay, I’m—”

Bailey’s hand shot up. “Don’t even. I don’t want to hear it. I only want to warn Chase.”

His head whipped around. “Warn me about what?”

“Her.” Bailey jerked her head toward Meg. “She’s not what you think. She’s sure as hell not what I thought.”

Meg’s face trembled. “That’s not fair, Bailey. You started this — you and Ryder. All I asked was for you to trust me, but you couldn’t. And I still gave you another chance.”

Another chance? Bailey’s teeth ground together when Chase swung an arm over Meg, pulled her close to his side. Meg had no idea — no freakin’ clue how many chances Bailey had already given her but when — when, exactly, had Meg EVER done that for her? Okay, after her snarky post and the resulting stabbed hand — Meg had forgiven her. But what about all the times Meg had stepped all over Bailey’s opinions and feelings? Meg had been glossing over her, rolling her eyes at her, for years — even the idea for the stupid video game was hers. And now, she gets the guy when Ryder — oh, God, Ryder — just thinking his name made her chest tighten — wouldn’t even man up enough to meet her in person.

The crowd had grown. Bailey saw the glow of cell phones as people started recording the floor show. She took a step closer and angled her head. “I don’t know what made you open your eyes and finally say yes to Chase, Meg. But I am curious — does he know the reason you kept saying no? The real reason, I mean.”

Meg went pale and there was a part of Bailey that cheered at the sight.

“Bailey,” Meg whispered. “Don’t. Please.”

Bailey blinked and couldn’t resist the urge — the need — to hurt Meg, to make her suffer the way she did. Still was. “You’re dumber than I am if you think you can hold him without telling him the whole story.”

Meg shook her head. “I don’t think you’re dumb. I never did.”

Bailey scoffed. “Yeah, right. And how many times was it that you told me not to trust Ryder? More than I told you Chase was right for you. You finally listened.”

Meg looked down at her feet, but said nothing.

“Bailey, just leave it alone.” Chase tried to break things up, but Bailey was too furious.

“No, Chase. You need to know. Why don’t you ask her? Ask her why she wouldn’t be with you sooner?”

Meg’s eyes popped when Chase turned hurt green eyes to hers. “Chase, please… don’t listen.”

“Tell him, Meg! What’s the big deal. You love him, right? And he loves you right back. Don’t you trust him?”

“Of course, I trust him!”

“Then say it. Tell him why you said no over and over again.”

“I was scared, Bailey! He knows that — I told him.”

“Tell him why, Meg. Tell him why straight A’s mean so freakin’ much to you.”

Chase pulled her by the hand that wasn’t bandaged. “Come on, Megan. Let’s just go.”

Bailey’s heart constricted. “I was scared, too, Meg. But that was never good enough for you. You kept hammering me and when I didn’t listen, you went after Ryder. For my own good. Right, Meg? It was for my own good.”

Meg’s eyes overflowed and Chase kept pulling her away, glaring furiously. “Yes, Bay. I don’t want you hurt.”

“So you hurt me yourself by calling me a slut on Facebook.”

“I deleted it!”

Bailey rolled her eyes. “Eventually.” And a thought crossed her mind that made her heart cry. “Because Chase told you to, didn’t he?”

Meg didn’t answer. She didn’t have to.

“It’s okay, Meg. I get it. I know why you were so scared. It’s about your dad. Tell Chase. If he loves you, he’ll understand, just like I did.”

“Bailey, please—” Meg begged.

“Megan, what the hell is she talking about?” Chase tugged on her elbow.

Meg shook her head and wrestled away.

“Tell him!” Bailey shouted.

“No!” Meg screamed back. “For God’s sake, Bailey!”

“For your own good, Meg.”

Meg looked at Chase and quickly turned away. “I hate you, Bailey. I hate you for this.”

Bailey didn’t blink. “I know.” She turned to Chase and revealed Meg’s biggest secret. “She killed her father.”

The pain in her chest was big, too big for her alone. Meg needed to feel it, too.

Chase’s eyes popped. “What the hell is she talking about?”

“Come on, Meg, tell him! Tell him why you’re scared!” Bailey screamed over and over again.

Meg was crying now but Bailey didn’t stop — she couldn’t stop. “Tell him!” It was for her own good. Meg’s hands came up to cover her ears and Chase kept trying to pull her away but Bailey wouldn’t let up. “Tell him what you’re afraid of!”

“You promised, Bailey. You swore!”

“Just like you did and we all know how great you keep your promises. So now it’s your turn.”

“Bailey, shut up—”

“No, Chase! You need to know. She’s going to kill you. Right, Megan? Isn’t that the messed-up truth?”

Meg’s knees folded and she went down to the floor. “Yes! Are you happy now? I killed my dad and I’ll kill Chase, too.” Meg hid her face. “I hate you for this. I hate you.”

Bailey didn’t feel a thing. “I know. That’s why you posted every one of my mistakes online — and the poem — and even Miss Monroe. Because you’re not a friend. All you are is the daughter of a dad who never wanted you.”

Meg’s head snapped up and for one horrible moment frozen in time, their eyes met. Meg broke first and tore her gaze away with a sound halfway between gasp and sob. She stumbled to her feet and ran.

The bell rang but still no one moved except for Bailey. She turned and walked to the nearest exit with her head high just like Gran told her to.