TMI - Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

The day finally ended. Meg boarded the bus without waiting for Bailey for the first time in years and folded herself into a seat all the way in the back. She drew her hood up and tried not to sob when the tears came. Someone took the seat beside her and she sighed. I'm always alone except when I need to be alone.

"Here." A cafeteria napkin appeared in front of her face, clutched in Chase's hand. His eyes sparkled like gems in her blurry vision. "It's clean, I swear."

"Chase, I--"

"Don't talk, Megan. For once, just don't talk and let me help, okay?"

Jeez, if I want to talk, I'm damn well going to talk. Besides, she was only going to say – Oh, hell. When all the color bled out of her anger, Meg nodded and slid further down her seat, propping her feet on the seat in front of her.

"Aw, what's the matter, Meg? Lose your best friend?" Somebody mocked from across the aisle, and the rear of the bus exploded in laughter.

Chase stood up and the laughter abruptly stopped. When he sat down again, Meg squeezed his hand briefly. His sucked in a sharp breath of air so she tried to move her hand, but he only tightened his grip. For a moment, Meg looked at their clasped hands and finally, looked up at him. "Chase."

"Megan." He smiled.

"Why are you on the bus? Don't you have practice?"

He shook his head. "Canceled. The coach is sick. Probably has what I had last week. Besides, I thought you could use a friend."

A friend. She bit her lip. "Why do you keep doing this? You know how I feel." She almost rolled her eyes. Expecting him to know how she felt when she wasn't sure was pretty damn ludicrous. She felt like throwing herself into his arms and running away at the same time. But she didn't have to spell it out for him. Didn't have to elaborate. Because he didn't bother to deny it.

"You're right. I do know how you feel." He leaned over with a grin that was almost wicked and whispered in her ear. "Because I feel the same way."

No. Meg tugged her hand back and again, he tightened his grip, still grinning wide.

"Megan. I won't hurt you. I swear. Not the way your dad hurt you and your mom." He was completely serious now.

Her entire body clenched and she snatched her hand away. Meg never talked about her father. Ever. No one knew what really happened. She'd never told anybody about her parents, except—

"Bailey. She — Oh, God. She told you." Damn it. No. No, it wasn't possible. She swore she'd never tell.

Chase frowned. "Told me what? It doesn't take a genius to see you're pissed at your dad."

Meg turned her head away, breathed a sigh of relief. Her anger was a weird thing. It was like someone had poured mad — Rose Madder — over her entire field of vision. She should have known better. Bailey would never tell.

Then again, she didn't think Bailey would stand her up for some guy, either.

"I never understood why you guys are friends," he murmured.

Meg whipped her head back, eyebrows raised in question.

"You're both such different people. Bailey's all fun and you're-"

"Not."

He rolled his vibrant eyes. "I was gonna say serious. She's all fashionable and you're-"

"Not."

This time, he blew out a frustrated sigh. "Will you stop that? I was gonna say you always look great even though you're not all tied up in knots trying to look that way. I guess I just wonder what you guys talk about."