1| The Start

The sharp ringing sound of my alarm clock pierces the air. My eyes struggle to open, it's too early to be dealing with this. My arms search for the off button, and the cold air hits the exposed skin on my arm. I dig under my pillow, finding my phone underneath. I turn it on, my eyes widening at the screen.

7:25 Monday, August 29. The first day of junior year. I have fifteen minutes to get ready.

"Shit," I mumble to myself, "I'll be late on my first day."

Immediately, I leap out of bed. I hastily walk over to my closet, sliding the door open. My eyes skim over my collection of tops, and I yank a plain black crew sweater from its hanger. I grab my undergarments from their drawers, and pull out a pair of black skinny jeans from my pile of denim.

I literally throw my clothes onto my body, not caring if I put them on correctly. I run down the hall and into the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I'm done, I decide to leave my dark brown hair down, not bothering to brush it. 

As I run downstairs, I check the time on my phone. 6:30am

I've got ten minutes to spare. I make my way to the kitchen, finding $10 on the counter.

"Use it for lunch."  I manage to read my mom's rushed handwriting. My parents always work late, my mom being a nurse and my dad working an office job. It'll all pay off soon, once I get into a good college and become successful. 

We just don't have much time for family anymore. 

I grab a water bottle from the fridge, and head over to the front door. I find my dark red backpack waiting for me, along with my black Dr. Martens. I slip them on, not bothering to lace them up.

I go outside and sit on my front porch steps, waiting for Hennessy to pick me up any minute. She was the one with the car, and I was the one who needed the ride. After a few minutes, I hear a loud honk, and I know It's Hennessy. I make my way down the driveway and hop into her pale blue punch buggy. She's the one to start the conversation.

"How was summer?"

Her crystal blue irises laced with concern. She starts backing out onto the street.

Shitty.

"It was fine, yours?"

"It was okay, I guess."

"Please, at least your paren-"

"Okay, Genesis. I'm sorry. I really am. Honestly, I should've done something with you this summer but-"

"Save it for later".

    The rest of the car ride was silent. I know Hennessy is trying, she just doesn't understand sometimes. She doesn't have any idea, honestly. She grew up in a nice household with loving parents, parents that were close friends of mine. I couldn't imagine how it must've been like back then. Before I came in and ruined it all.

    As Hennessy pulled into the parking lot, I notice quite a few students crowded around the entrance. As we get out of the car, we can't be bothered checking out what all the fuss was about.

    When I walked by, I heard a couple of whispers about these new kids. Nothing new, since we're in Los Angeles, there's always new kids at Studio City Academy. The fact that people have to actually talk about these new kids made them something special. We do have a great music an arts program, so most of the alumni here go forth and land careers on broadway or the music industry. As I push through the doors, I grab my schedule and locker info out of my bag.
Hennessy and I keep walking until the hallway split.

"I'll see you later"

"Yeah, don't we have history and anatomy together?"