The bed was fluffy and warm, just how she remembered. She stared at the stars on her ceiling that glowed a bright green above her bed. Another bright light at the corner of her eye caught her attention. It was her phone.

I have an idea.

She waited a second before texting back.

And what would that be?

Right away she got his response.

You can come back.

LOL yeah that'll go over well with my parents.

What the hell is LOL?

Riley burst out laughing.

Really? My grandmother knows what LOL means!

It took Tommy a little while to text back.

If I knew how to send you a picture of a mad face, I would.

He laid back in his bed, wishing she was next to him. His phone lit up and there was a picture of Riley with her brows furrowed, making a mad face. His laugh shook the bed. His phone lit up again.

I think its so cute that you don't know what LOL means.

So you think I'm cute?

Riley smiled and rolled her eyes.

It depends on the day.

Jerk.

LOL. LOL. LOL. LOL.

Insert sad face here.

Okay when I get back I'll give you a crash course in sexting.

As soon as she hit 'send' she saw her stupid autocorrect mistake. "Oh shit!" Riley laughed and typed as fast as she could.

TEXTING! Not sexting...

She bit her lip and waited anxiously for him to write back. Finally her phone lit up.

I can't wait...

Riley had dreamt of Tommy that night but instead of gasping for air when she woke, she just laid there in a daze, wishing she was laying in bed with him. The sun was shining right through her curtains and averting her gaze from the window, she threw the blanket over her head. She tried to force herself back to sleep, to dream of him again, but had no such luck. Reluctantly, she got out of bed, abandoning her dreams and walked downstairs.

"Merry Christmas Eve morning, Ri!" Jack said as he cheerfully greeted Riley in the kitchen.

Stuffing a croissant into her mouth, she mumbled, "Morning."

"Still not a morning person, huh?" He poured himself a cup of coffee and took a seat at the breakfast nook.

"Where's mom and dad?" She took the seat across from him and handed him the business section of the newspaper while she took the comics.

"They went to go pick up Nana from the airport." He set the paper down and stared at his sister. "What happened with Ryan?"

She took in a deep breath and considered what she should tell him. She didn't want to lie to him but at the same time she didn't want to tell him everything either.

"We weren't seeing eye to eye on things." She sipped her own coffee, hoping that answer was enough.

"Such as?" He put his elbows on the table and fingers on his lips.

"Um," she cracked her knuckles. "He didn't believe in what I did. What I do." She twisted her hair around her fingers wishing he would drop the subject.

"You mean your painting?"

She nodded.

"Ri, you have amazing artistry skills. You're creative, professional, and successful. I'm sure he'll come around. Just give it some time."

She let out a snort. "I don't think so Jack."

"You never know Riley." He shrugged his shoulders and got up as he heard the door open. "Looks like Nana's here."

Riley got up and followed her brother to the foyer. Her grandmother was tall and slender, just like Riley's own mother. Her pearls draped around the collar of her button up shirt.

"Riley Mae! Just look at you!" She hugged her tight and stood back, grabbing her by the shoulders. "Pale though."

"Nana!" Riley smiled and hugged her grandmother once more.

"Guess who else was at the airport?" Riley's mother smiled wide and stepped to the side. A tall figure stood in the doorway grinning at Riley.

Riley froze and her eyes grew wide. "Ryan?"