Chapter 4.

"So you see, Chaka, you can have all the power."

Chaka sat silently, watching his father, Artemis, pace around the cave.

"But, father, I dont want power." His eyebrows pulled together.

Artemis snarled, turning on him. "Too bad! Your going to be evil!"

Chaka didnt flinch. "But I dont want to be evil."

Artemis growled, getting in his face. "Dont backtalk me."

Chaka met his glare steadily. "Why do you kill people?"

That question caught Artemis off guard.

"What?"

"Why do you kill?" Chaka asked softly. "Father, life is an amazing thing. Its a gift. And its wrong to take it away from other people if its not their time yet. Killing is bad. Really, really bad. And," He sighed. "I dont see the point in it. I mean, what benefits you so much about killing other people? You dont get power from it. It doesnt make you look stronger or better. It makes you a monster, father."

Artemis shrugged. "Killing is fun."

"Not for the person who's being killed." Chaka replied quietly.

"Since when do I care?"

"You've never cared, father." Chaka said simply, standing. "And, until you learn how to care, nobody will care about you either." With that, he turned and exited the cave, leaving Artemis to stand there in shock.

Chaka stood outside the cave, watching the blue sky quietly.

Im never going to kill, He promised himself silently. Whatever happens, I will never kill anybody.

With the breeze ruffling his fur calmly, Chaka stared up at the sky, silently praying he could keep that promise.