Chapter 14: I'll Stand By You

My breathing slowly returned to a normal state as Riley rubbed his thumb against my cheek wiping away the tears.

"How did you know where I live?" My voice shook as I looked over to McKenna who was still standing in the doorway.

"McKenna called me freaking out and told me what happened to your mom and said that you left in a hurry. I came over to your dorm and we called all the hospitals that were in the Los Angeles area. We questioned every single one of them for information about you. A nurse at one of the hospitals told us that you were there but that she couldn't give away any of the information. She knew she wasn't supposed to but she mentioned that she didn't think you should be alone, she gave us the address. So while McKenna was on the phone, I booked one way plane tickets. Now we're here."

I shook my head and pulled away from Riley. I pushed McKenna to the side as I walked down the hallway with a slight limp.

"Skye, you're bleeding. Let me clean you up." McKenna urged.

"No, I'm fine. You shouldn't have come all the way out here." I snapped as I closed the bathroom door.

"Just go clean up the glass in her bedroom. I'll try to talk to her." I heard Riley whisper to McKenna out in the hallway.

"Hey Skye, may I come in?" Riley asked as he tapped slightly on the door.

"No."

"Skye, I know you don't like putting your trust into people. I know people have screwed you over in the past. But right now, you shouldn't be alone. Please, I'm here to take care of you. I wouldn't fly over 4 hours in the middle of the night just for anyone."

I twisted the knob on the door slightly before Riley pushed his way through the door.

"Riley, I can't do this anymore. I can't." My body slid to the ground against the wall as Riley locked the door behind him and grabbed a cloth from the cabinet. He wet it with cold water before leaning beside me and placing the cloth over my leg. "Andy was in the car tonight...He was in the car that hit my mom."

"Wow. Um. Is he okay?" I could tell Riley was confused about why I wasn't with Andy if he were in the accident.

"Eh. Physically, he's fine. He was drunk. He and two of his friends were wasted and decided to go out and drive. Now my mom is gone."

"I honestly don't have the words to say." Riley spoke softly.

"You don't need to say anything. Just stay here, with me, please?" I entangled my arm with his and rested my head on his shoulder.

"I'm not going anywhere." He kissed my forehead softly. "My parents are probably going to wake up any minute. I only left a note because I didn't have time to wake them up. I ran out of my house quicker than ever before. I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life."

I remained quiet as Riley readjusted the cloth on my leg.

"McKenna shouldn't have come with you though. We have finals everyday before Christmas. She can't miss them." I sniffled as I rubbed my eyes.

"Well what about you?" He questioned.

"I'll email my professors. I'm not exactly in the final-taking state at the moment. I'll see if I can talk them after the holiday. I can't leave here anyway until after Christmas. I need to arrange stuff for my mom and figure out what to do with the house, belongings, and all of this stuff that I don't even know what to do with." Tears began to fall from my face again right when I thought I was out of tears to cry.

"Shh shh, it's okay. I'll stay with you. I promise."

"Riley, you can't. Christmas is only days away and you have a family to spend it with. I'm not taking you away from them."