Chapter 10: Does He Know?

"Skye, I said I like you." Riley repeated.

I remained there, still frozen. What was I supposed to say to him? Last night I admitted to possibly liking him but I could never tell him that. Today, Andy flies in out of nowhere, literally. I thought today would have reassured that I don't like Riley. I know that I can't.

"Will you please say something?" Riley broke the silence and the thoughts being processed through my mind. I still didn't know what to say to him. "Look," he continued, "I shouldn't have said that. I know. But I can't take it back now. I think it's just best if you went to your little boyfriend and I just let you be." Riley walked a few steps closer, inching towards my face. He placed two fingers underneath my chin, raising it ever so slightly before kissing me softly on the cheek. His lips were wet and cold from the rain but still very soft. He then walked away in the opposite direction where I assumed his car would be.

What. Just. Happened??

I scratched my head slightly as I watched Riley walk into the distance. I'm standing in the pouring down rain, watching Riley walk away after he just told me how he feels. Meanwhile, McKenna and Connor are probably questioning where the hell I went off to. Oh, then there's the whole Andy being a few miles away at a hotel....and not in California. I've spent my life drama free and simple. Then I open up to people and this happens. This is one of the reasons I don't do that. I need to stop doing that.

I walked back to the dorm attempting to process whatever the hell just happened. I still wasn't sure quite frankly. By the time I got back, I was freezing from the rain and more confused than I was in the moment when Riley told me that he liked me.

"So uh care to explain what happened?!" McKenna sprung from her bed to the closet and wrapped a towel around my shoulders.

"Where's Connor?" I asked.

"He left. Now back to whatever just happened." McKenna urged me to go on as she grabbed Riley's clothes from last night because it was the nearest thing she could find that was warm and comfortable.

Really McKenna? Really?

I changed quickly without giving the clothes a second thought. I crawled into bed and entangled myself with my blanket as McKenna sat on the end of my bed.

"He likes me." I muttered out.

"Riley?! What???"

I nodded my head before covering it with the blanket.

"Oh no you don't!" McKenna leaned over top of me and pulled the blanket off enough for her to see my face. "What happened?" She continued.

"It doesn't matter." I grabbed ahold of the blanket once more before pulling it closer to my face. "I need sleep." I buried my head underneath the blanket and closed my eyes tight shut.

                                                             ***

There was a faint sound of ringing in my ear as I slowly peered my eyes out of the blanket. I glanced over to the opposite side of the room to see McKenna's bed was the way she had left it before I fell asleep. Wait, what time is it? How long did I sleep? I stretched my arm up towards the ceiling, slowly pushing the blanket towards my lower body. I felt a scratch begin to tickle my throat. Within a few seconds, I was coughing repetitively. Wonderful. I sniffled my nose as I ran my fingers through my still-drenched hair.

I glanced over to see the brightness on my phone dim as the ringing sound I previously heard, came to an end. I stretched out and grabbed ahold of my phone.

One Missed Call: Andy

I hit 'call back' on my phone as my cough muffled the ringing sound coming through the phone.

"Hey, Skye. So I saw that there's this nice restaurant down the street that we could go to tonight. Sound good?"

"About that, I don't think-"

"You're bailing on me??"

"No, NO! I just woke up from a nap. I'm not feeling well."

"Oh, I'm sorry. But wait, why did you all of the sudden not feel well after a nap?"

"I'm not sure. But I don't think it's best for me to go anywhere tonight. The weather will only make it worse and I have to be better by Monday for my test that I have."

"So, you are bailing on me...unless I come over and spend some time with you. I mean, if you're okay with that."

"I'll talk to McKenna and see what she says. I'll text you."

"Okay, I love you babe."

The call disconnected on the other end. There's no way I am telling Andy that I spent thirty minutes in the rain because of Riley. I'm not making this worse. Nope. Not happening. I crawled out of bed and slumped over to my dresser where the bottles of medicine were located. I grabbed a bottle of water and swallowed the two pills hard, only making the pain worse. I looked back to my phone to see that McKenna had texted me.

"Hanging out with Connor for the night. Have fun with Andy....or Riley. Either way, have fun. ;) Text me if ya need me girl!"

Riley. His name just send a sharp pain through my body. I already felt as though I was hit by a bus and by tons of bricks. But I guess that wasn't bad enough. The sound of his name caused pain that I know it shouldn't have.

I grabbed my phone then texted Andy with the happiest expression I could try to make myself feel.

"McKenna will be out for a while. We have the dorm to ourselves for now. :)"

                                                                         *

Before I know it, Andy was over and we were cuddling in bed together. He didn't mind being close to me although he was bound to get sick. We didn't do much; only lay around in bed and watched movie after movie. That was probably the best thing for my health and my sanity.

Andy's arms were tight around my waist while we were in bed and we were silent. His head was rested against mine as he occasionally kissed the top of my head then and again. As long as he didn't question about Riley, I should be okay...I hope. If he knew anything, everything would be ruined. I glanced at my phone knowing that I wouldn't have any unread text messages but I still hoped that Riley would come around. That wasn't going to happen though and I knew that.

Author's note: Sorry that I disappeared! But I'm back now! I already have the next chapter and a half written so updates should be more frequent! I also have a great idea for what's happening with the plot for the next few chapters so that'll be interesting. Hopefully everyone is still interested in this story.

But please give me feedback. Vote, comment, etc. I also apologize for the rather boring chapter but it'll get better soon. I promise. The next chapter should be up tomorrow or Saturday :) Thanks for reading! - Cassandra