Chapter 8 ~ Pop Song in an Apocalypse

I sat like that with him for hours, his head still cradled in my lap. But darkness was falling fast and with it, came my anxiety. Walkers would be on their way now that night was approaching and three bullets and one knife wouldn't be enough to defend myself and Owen with. I looked down at him then and sighed. I couldn't leave him on his own while I searched for supplies. He was still unconscious, for crying out loud.

They'd get him in a heartbeat. Gazing out the window once more, I made a snap decision. It was stupid and probably wouldn't even work but it was worth a shot...and the only choice I had. Gently, I moved Owen's head from my lap to rest on the backseat. I reached across him and cracked open the car door. Carefully, I got out and shut the door behind me.

Hopping into the driver's seat, I surveyed what I had to work with. The rusted key was still stuck in the ignition and a large crack ran the length of the windshield. But luckily, the fuel gauge marker pointed to "Full". The previous owner's must've left it still filled up, thinking they'd come back to it. I shook away the sad thought and slowly turned the key. The engine stalled and I cursed under my breath.

Come on! This had to work! I tried again to no avail, the same spluttering sound coming from the engine again and I hit the steering wheel in frustration. I was so caught up in trying to get the car to start that I didn't hear the shuffling sound to my left.

"Come on, come on, work you piece of junk!" I muttered as the engine stalled for the fourth time.

Suddenly, I felt something wrap around my arm and I instinctively jerked away from it, falling back onto the passenger seat. Turning to look at what had attacked me, I gasped. A walker was trying to grab at me, its arms reaching through my open window. It was a gruesome one too - bloody red scabs covered its face and one of its eyes hung from its socket. I tried not to gag as I kicked one of my feet at it. It fell down onto the pavement with a thud and I quickly grabbed the keys. I turned it and the engine stalled again.

"Really?"I cried out as the thing slowly righted itself to its knees.

I tried once more and this time, the vehicle hummed to life.

"Yes!" I cheered and instantly, stepped on the gas pedal.

The car shot down the road, running over the walker's arm as it did. I sighed, steering the car around the others that had been left abandoned. Quickly, I rolled up the window with my free hand. Don't want that happening again. Trees flew past us as I sped down the road, trying to put distance between us and the walkers...or whatever else could be lurking out there at this time of night. Running my fingers along the leather covering of the wheel, the anxiety in my chest melted away.

We were safe for the time being. I didn't know how long this gas would last but for now, Owen and I were safe. And that was all that mattered. I drove for miles - I didn't know where I was headed or for how many hours I'd been driving. I didn't stop. I couldn't.

No matter what, I couldn't stop moving. Whoever those men that had attacked Owen were, they meant business. Turning my head slightly, I looked back at him. He was still asleep, a serene expression on his face. Swiveling my head back around, I watched walkers pass by the car. Well...this was going to be one long car ride.

Especially if I had no music. Punching the CD button, it hummed to life. A Lana Del Rey song filled the car and I smiled. Gosh, it had been a while since I'd heard any music at all.

"If I lay really quiet, I know that what I do isn't right," she sang and my thoughts wandered to Owen, "I can't stop what I love to do..."

Why was I doing all of this for him anyway? He was my kidnapper and he was injured. I could have just left him there like that. Run off on my own and never looked back. But I didn't. Instead, I'd patched him up and helped him. Gosh, I was still helping him.

"Baby, I'm a sociopath, sweet serial killer," the song continued.

I briefly closed my eyes. No! This couldn't be happening! I wasn't supposed to feel anything for him at all. And yet...

"On the warpath, 'cause I love you just a little too much, love you just a little too much..." Lana sang through the radio.

Suddenly, I realized something that shocked me to my core. I didn't just have feelings for Owen...

I was in love with him...