Chapter Fifteen: Walking Forward.

Start from the beginning

"I'm not rushing you. I get it." I reassured him and turned around to iron my shirt.

I knew what it was like to need time for yourself. When my mother died I felt like I lost everything. There was no longer a light at the end of the tunnel waiting for me. Then those small little sparrows gave me a glimmer of hope. I was no longer alone. They counted on me everyday for simple necessities. Food, water, a clean cage. They needed me just as much as I needed them for my sanity. After they died, I leaned towards my brother. Eventually Eli pushed me aside and then I really understood what it meant to stand alone in a room full of people.

Father expected too much out of a little kid. I couldn't go to a public or private school. I spent hours locked in the library as he forced me to read a maximum of twenty books per day to be able to eat dinner. I was forced to study and learn about the Mafia caste system. Eli was as well but after it was announced that I would be the next head of the family he no longer studied with me. Everything fell on my shoulders.

I had plenty of time to find myself as a person. Max needed to go through it too, except I would never push him away. I wouldn't let him go through the same things exactly as I did. Loneliness rotted your emotions. If Max and Sera weren't with me as my pillars, I wouldn't be the person I was today. I, more likely than not, would have turned into what Eli has become.

"Stop frowning." Max said sitting up on my bed, "I didn't mean for you to recall something bad. Sorry."

I smiled with a small chuckle and shook my head, "It wasn't bad. I've moved past it all." I said truthfully. "Ive learned to accept all the bad. You just need to do the same. Accept that the past doesn't define you. Make your own story. Stop running."

"Stop running, huh?" He asked, "Is that tattoo a form of closure for you?"

I looked down at the right side of my collar bone. It was a single sparrow slightly titled downwards to make it seem as if it was gliding. "Whatever works, right?"

It wasn't the only tattoo I've gotten. I also had feathers on both of my forearms that seemed to be coming out of my wrists. I had the planet earth and a number two in Roman numerals on my left rib. I had a cross, the same one my father had, on my left shoulder that extended upwards to my neck and down to my elbow. It was a symbol for the head of the family to wear with pride. It was tradition for the current head to ink the successor. Usually it's not done until the day the successor becomes the head, but since father is so sickly we had it done sooner rather than later.

There was a knock at the door. "Come in." I said as I put my shirt on and walked over to the closet after. Sera walked in wearing a dress that faded from black into white towards the bottom. The dress was short in the front and longer in the back. She wore earrings and tall black heels. "Don't you look a bit too dressed up?"

"Nah." She shook her head. "This is nothing compared to how I'd usually dress. I was eying this mini dress but went against it."

"You usually would be in no clothes what so ever." Max corrected her.

I laughed. It was sort of true. She loved wearing really tight clothes or close to nothing. It wasn't anything bad of course. It was how she expressed her self. "Now, now. Sera looks great. I can't say the same about you though." I said looking at max.

He wore a ripped sweater and jeans. He looked like a person who lived in the streets rather than someone who lived in a multiple story mansion. "Shut up. I'm going to get dressed." He said standing up reluctantly and left my room.