NBN - Overview

Under the Gillard/Rudd governments' NBN Co corporate plan, it was estimated that the NBN construction would require A$27.5 billion in Government equity and raise an estimated A$13.4 billion in dept funding without government support; a total funding requirement of $40.9 billion up to Financial Year 2021. Financial forecasts for NBN Co assuming a 7% Internal Rate of Return (IRR) expect the Government and Dept equity will be fully repaid including accrued interest by FY2040. Following the election of the Abbott government, NBN Co reassessed financial forecasts and progress of the NBN roll-out and published a Strategic Review in December 2013.

In response to what the Abbott/Turnbull governments stated to be excessive performance specifications and costs they moved from a model which previously focused on FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) to a Multi Technology Mix using FTTx, including FTTP, FTTN (Fibre to the Node), FTTB (Fibre to the Building or Basement) and most recently (Fibre to the Distribution Point); and HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial) in metropolitan areas. Regional and Remote areas were mainly unchaged as a result of the strategic review and typically receive a service using either Fixed Wireless, using LTE technology, or Satellite.

The NBN network, at 2017, draws together wired communication: copper, optical and hybrid fibre-coaxial; and radio communication: satellite and fixed wireless networks at 121 Points of Interconnect (POI) typically located in Telstra owned telephone exchanges throughout Australia. It also sells access for mobile telecommunication backhaul to mobile telecommunications providers.

NBN has stated that there is no significant demand for wired connections above 25 Mbit/s and consideration of upgrading the network will not be undertaken until demand for high-bandwidth services is proven.

The company owns a fleet of two satellites, known as Sky Muster, located at 140° East and 145° East in a geosynchronous orbit.