Day - The Second - Part Two

Start from the beginning

"Nothing's going on here," the leader said. "So how about you move along?"

I arched an eyebrow at him. "How civil. Do you always act like such a douchebag, or is it only when you have your friends to back you up?"

He flinched, and I saw his friends shift their weight behind him. One of them was the fire-boy I had seen on the first day. I guess he didn't get into the team he wanted.

"I'm the son of a hero. I understand that this might not look proper at first glance, but this young woman is a villain to her core." The leader's change of tone took me back. I was expecting more posturing and maybe some thinly veiled threats. I was not expecting him to take the moral high ground. Weren't bullies supposed to be dumb?

"So, she's a villain?" I made a show of looking her up and down. "You're right, she looks downright scary. What're her abilities? Can she liquefy your brain with a touch? Or maybe she's one of those that can shatter bones with a thought?"

That seemed to give them all pause. Bullying was unavoidable in any school, but here it could be downright fatal. Knowing that any nerdy kid who looked defenceless might very well be able to teleport you into the sun should have dulled a couple of hormonal responses.

"I understand how this looks, nonetheless, we have to set a standard here," he said. "We need to make damned sure that she understands that her sort isn't wanted here."

Fire filled the pit of my stomach. "Set a standard?" I said. It came out as a hiss. With three long strides I was standing between them and the girl. "Here's a standard for you: I won't let you bully anyone while I'm around. So piss off. You can work out your daddy-issues elsewhere."

I might, maybe, have gone too far.

Leader's face turned a distinct shade of punch-William-in-the-nose red.

I felt a pressure building on my chest, then spreading to my whole body. It was light, as though I was standing out in a stiff breeze. Then I was slammed against the wall, the weight of a small elephant pressing against every inch of my body. Every inch, even the delicate ones.

I moaned in pain even as the pressure let up, turning down to the weight of a moderately small pile of bricks.

He took a step towards me, pointing at my face from an inch away. "You're one of them, aren't you. Only a villain would side with the likes of her. This is your last warning, get your priorities straight now, or I'll see that you never step foot in this school again." He spat at the ground beside him. The spit turned in midair and landed with a splat on the wall right next to my shin.

Gravity manipulation. He was using gravity manipulation. Damn, that was one of the better ones.

"And you," he turned towards the girl. "I think we got our message across." With that he turned and walked away, his goonies trailing after him. Fire-boy paused to look at me. His face was unreadable before he ran after his teammates.

It took a few seconds before the pull that kept me on the wall finally lessened and stopped. I fell to my feet and patted my pants clean. "You okay?" I asked, not looking at the girl.

"I am," she said. She sounded... happy? "You didn't need to do that, you know."

I turned to her and got my first good look at her.

She was pretty, with bright green eyes and soft, light-brown skin. Her full lips curved into a smile. "But I'm glad you did." She patted me on the shoulder as she walked by. "You know, those guys thought they were being heroic. I don't think they really understand what it means to be a hero."