Hugh smiled, forcing a tear onto the apple of his cheek. "If you experience half the joy I've had with Evelyn, you are truly blessed. Now, if you don't mind keeping an eye on my beloved while she slumbers, I promised to meet a friend at the wine table. Can I interest either of you in a glass?"

Hades turned to Lexi, his eyebrows tweaked into that inquisitive pose. "Would you mind if I accompanied Hugh? I noticed a case of merlot I'm fond of. I'd love to share that with you."

"I don't mind at all. I'm happy to keep Evelyn company."

Hades leaned in and kissed Lexi on the mouth, lingering long enough to get her pulse racing, although the exchange made his absence feel more acute when he had disappeared through the red velvet curtain. A deep sigh emanated from Evelyn's chair, and Lexi slid to the front of her seat. The old woman's breathing had slowed significantly, to the point that it was impossible to tell when her chest rose and fell, and it was only the fact that her spirit remained attached that Lexi felt a small amount of reassurance.

For the next fifteen minutes, Lexi watched the spirit as, one by one, the silky strands of Evelyn's life force broke away from its host, flapping freely as if responding to a breeze until only two thin tendrils remained connected. It was then that the spirit noticed Lexi as she turned to smile at her. This appeared to be the catalyst the spirit needed, and the last two tendrils detached, allowing Evelyn's ghostly form to float above the balcony box where it proceeded to observe the activity below with rapt interest, grinning and pointing as if she recognized everyone in attendance.

Lexi felt a surge of happiness for the woman, despite the knowledge that her husband and family would soon suffer her loss. Since meeting Hades, Lexi had learned a lot about the nature of death, and she knew it was not the end but the beginning of something new. Evelyn's spirit seemed to know this, looking grateful to be rid of the confines of her damaged body. Eager for a connection, Lexi reached out her hand, attracting Evelyn's attention. The spirit lowered to the balcony floor, meeting Lexi's gaze as she silently communicated with her.

"Good evening, Lexi. It's so lovely to see another familiar face. I have found many here, but there is someone missing. My little boy, Hugh."

Lexi's stomach clenched but she shoved the anxiety away. "Do you mean your husband, Hugh?"

"Yes. We have pet names for each other. I call him little boy Hugh, which comes from the nursery rhyme, Little Boy Blue. You know the one, I'm sure. And he calls me ever lovin' Evelyn."

"That's very sweet. Your husband is here, Evelyn. He should be back any minute."

"Oh, dear. I hope he hurries. I really need to go. I'm being pulled quite strongly... up there."

Evelyn's spirit gazed toward the souring ceiling and her form wavered as it became more transparent. Lexi needed to think of something to keep her there until Hugh returned. Could she convince Evelyn to reunite with her body so he wouldn't return to a dead wife, or was she too broken?

"Please, don't go yet, Evelyn. I want Hugh to know you're still here. That you remember him."

"Of course, I remember him. He was there during my first performance with the Rockettes. He sat in the front row, smiling like a fool and blowing me kisses. It was terribly distracting, but it made me feel so loved. And he was there for the birth of our three children, and again when our dear Randolph passed. He has been with me through the worst and the best. A gentleman through and through."

Not once did Evelyn's smile falter as she spoke fondly of the man she would never see again. It was clear the peace she felt was absolute, and it brought tears to Lexi's eyes. She picked up the tissue from her lap to dab her face and while she was distracted Evelyn's spirit lifted toward the ceiling.

"Wait." Lexi jumped from her seat, reaching out as Evelyn's feathery silhouette drifted further away.

"There is nothing to fear, Lexi," Evelyn told her. "Make every day count. Let love and laughter be your purpose."

Just as Evelyn's spirit evaporated over Lexi's head, Hugh and Hades walked through the curtain, a glass of wine in each of their hands. Both men stopped when they saw Lexi on her feet staring up at the ceiling, and each of them joined in her vain search.

"What are we looking at?" Hades asked as he handed Lexi a glass of wine. She quickly set the wine on a small table between the chairs, then she reached out to Hugh, taking the glasses of wine he was holding and setting them next to hers. Without preamble, Lexi threw her arms around Hugh, hugging him tightly and speaking into his ear.

"Ever lovin' Evelyn wanted me to tell you she remembers you, little boy Hugh. She remembers you attending her first performance with the Rockettes. You blew her kisses and it made her feel loved. She remembers the birth of your three children and the passing of Randolph. She believes you are a gentleman through and through."

Hugh sagged in Lexi's arms and Hades grabbed the old man to steady him. They both helped Hugh to his seat, and Lexi stood at his shoulder as Hugh gazed into the face of his wife. She still appeared to be sleeping peacefully, a faint smile turning the corners of her mouth up, her arms resting comfortably across her chest.

"Was she mumbling in her sleep?" Hugh asked. "Sometimes she remembers things when she's at rest." His voice came out tentative, like he didn't believe his own words.

Lexi looked at Hades, trying to extract some strength from his compassionate gaze. Clearly, he knew what had happened. She swallowed the anguish she felt for Hugh and focused on the joy and peace left in the wake of Evelyn's spirit. "No, she didn't mumble in her sleep. Evelyn hasn't woken up. It was... it was her spirit that spoke to me, Hugh. I connected with her spirit and she shared some of her memories of you. Her body may have forgotten you, but her spirit never did."

A sob broke from Hugh's throat, and he buried his head in Evelyn's chest, his emotions rolling out unrestricted. Lexi felt Hades' hand come to rest on her shoulder as he leaned into her ear.

"I'll find security. We should handle this before the performance starts again." He pressed a tender kiss to her forehead. "I am proud of you, Lexi. I hope you never doubt your benevolence again."