Rule #10: Always Stay Calm

Start from the beginning

“Let’s go now. I have my dad’s gun-”

“No,” Oliver interrupted firmly. “We’re gonna do this the right way.” His eyes shined with a calm rage.

“What’s the right way?” Owen asked curiously. The Harken family had their own way of doing things, especially when it came to taking care of each other.

“You’ll see,” the five brothers answered in unison.

“Is Gus coming to help?”

“No, the baby is due any day now, and he’s got his hands full with the boys and the twins,” Oliver answered.

“I call dibs on his face,” Bryce growled. He glanced over at Jake, who was frantically flipping through Bella’s journal.

“We gotta have a plan,” Frankie muttered, “any suggestions?”

“Bella had a good idea…” Owen told them what her plan was.

“I hate that idea,” Jake groaned. He didn’t want Georgie to ever lay eyes on her again, but he was outvoted.

“She’ll be okay,” Oliver said confidently. “Owen,” he turned his attention to the boy who’d been forbidden to go anywhere near his sister, “we’re still not giving you our blessing. You haven’t earned it yet.”

“But,” Frankie continued his older brother’s thought, “you’re not as bad as we thought.”

“Yes he is,” Jake and Zane snapped. He wasn’t good enough for Bella, not even close. Bryce rolled his eyes, agreeing with his two older brothers. He didn’t share Jake and Zane’s ridiculously intense dislike for the kid. Especially after he met Mina and found out what love felt like.

“Bella is a big girl who can make her own decisions. It will be her choice whether or not she wants to be with me,” Owen said with an arrogant tone in his voice.

“You fuck up a lot Owen,” Frankie noted, amused, “and yet you still think our sister will fall for you?” He laughed.

“Oh,” Owen’s confidence had returned, “I know she will.”

“Shut up guys, stop arguing and get back to work. Harriet will be furious if I’m not home by the time my sons wake up tomorrow.”

* * *

“This is delicious Bella,” Eli muttered, stuffing his mouth with her lasagna. She didn’t like Eli acting that way. When she and Lucy had dragged him and Danny out to the playground about a half a mile away from the house (but still on the property), he’d been nice and helpful. He’d played with the kids and tried to have a civilized conversation with her. And when dinner time came around he’d offered to set the table.

Bella didn’t like it. It was way too strange. Why couldn’t she have the Eli she knew and loved back? Danny was suspicious of the new Eli too. He was way too nice. The real Eli would never offer to do his chores. No way in hell.

Bella’s phone vibrated abruptly in her pocket and she jumped to answer it, pushing herself away from the table. “Hello?”

“Bella darling, how are the kids?” Mrs. Sweeny asked. She was yelling over loud music in the background. Bella wasn’t sure if she should tell her the truth, or lie to her like she normally did when really bad shit happened.

“They’re fine,” Bella sighed, dropping onto the couch in the den, “except for Eli.”

“What happened?” Mrs. Sweeny asked, alarmed.