Chapter 29 - Logic.

Start from the beginning

"A farmers boy like my father." Kayson smiled. "I'm gonna find me a wife that's gonna cook, clean, and take care of all 6 of my children."

"6 children?!" Madilyn gasped.

"Yep." Kayson nodded. "What you wanna be?"

"I'm gonna be a housewife who works too." Madilyn grinned. "Girls can work just like men."

"Not as hard."

"How do you know?"

"Men are naturally stronger than women." Kayson shrugged. "Physically, too."

Madilyn glanced down, taking a deep breath.

"I'm getting married, Kayson."

Kayson glanced up at her, pointing his bottom lip out.

"Congratulations!" Kayson smiled. "You happy?"

Madilyn shook her head, staring out at the horizons as her fluffy red hair blew in the wind.

"I'm terrified." Madilyn said in a shaky tone.

"Why?"

Out of nowhere, Madilyn's adoptive fathers raggedy blue truck came pulling down the roadway. He'd just got done buying a lot of fruits from another farmer on the island.

"Come on, Madilyn!" Her father chanted. "I'm done buying the fruits."

Madilyn quickly placed a smile on her face, waving at Kayson as she jogged to her car.

"Goodbye, Kayson!" Madilyn smiled.

"Bye!"

But Madilyn wasn't fooling Kayson at all. By the way she was looking and fiddling her fingers, he could tell that there was something wrong with her. To him, it seemed like something more than an arranged marriage.

When Abel got home, as always, dinner was ready. Iyana and Lily made some parmesan crusted chicken along with some cheese mash potatoes and some greens. After saying grace, everyone at the table seemed to dig right into their food.

Everyone, accept for Lily. She was ready to get down to business.

"How are those grades looking, Kays?" Abel asked in a stern tone, eating his food.

"Consistent as always." Kayson mumbled in an unmoved tone, moving a progress report of all his classes next to him. "Check to see yourself."

As Abel expected, Kayson's grades were flawless. Not a single B was on the report card.

Next, was Lily.

"I already checked yours, Iyana." Abel groaned as he looked at Lily. "Lily?"

Lily didn't say anything. She picked with her foot, watching Abel's face grow a little more stern.

"Hello?" Abel scoffed.

"I have my grades right here." Lily mumbled as she slid him a small folded half sheet of paper.

As Abel took the paper and unraveled it, he realized that it was the photo of Asha and Lily. After leaving these secrets in the closet for a decade and some change, it was finally out. Abel glanced at the photo, looking back up at Lily as she refused to give him any eye contact.

"So who's that, dad?" Lily said, keeping her eyes down onto her plate.

Abel didn't say anything. Kayson and Iyana sat nervous at the table, not knowing what was going to happen. At any point, they were waiting for Abel to snap and start beating Lily on the spot.