Chapter Fifty-Nine

~Recap~

"Then what was it that we did as kids on the night of mother's huge party?" Asked Midnight quietly, and no sooner was it that Dusk answered. "Oh!" Dusk said as Midnight could see that the mind invader was searching through her sister's memories. Her blood boiled but she maintained composure to ensure that she didn't mess up her plan. "We were running around the banquet table, and I lost my balance and fell!" Midnight nodded as Dusk continued.

"I was covered in all of the food and all of the guest laughed as I ran out humiliated," finished Dusk with a grin before placing both hands on her hips. Midnight suddenly threw her leg up and as Dusk received the high kick she screamed. She slammed right into the wall before sliding down to the floor with a groan.

Midnight glared down as a gust of wind blew all around them. "I don't understand!" She screamed as Midnight just stared down. "I proved to you that it is me-" Midnight knelt down to eye level before speaking. "My sister swore that she would never speak of it again, because she was so humiliated." The mind invader knew that he had been caught, and revealed himself through Dusk. "Sorry but as a mind invader my job is to inflict misery upon humans like you," Ranger clenched her fist trying to hold back her anger otherwise Red would take control.

Midnight listened in silence as the mind invader ran his mouth (or really her sister's mouth). "Your sister was so easy to control I must say, just a desperate fourteen year old girl back then- desperate for love." At that point Midnight had enough, she swung a fist before the mind invader stopped her. "Let me show you what happened seventeen years ago," he said while still keeping his grip on Midnight. And just like that Midnight had entered a dream state. No, a memory. Not her own though, it was her sister's memory...

~*~

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Asked Dusk as she held hands with a handsome young man. The dark sky and the full moon set the perfect mood- the perfect time for him to strike. "Yes, my love." He replied ever so sweetly as he got on one knee. With that the man pulled out a box, opening it to reveal the biggest and most shiniest diamond ring inside. "Coralina Nightwick, will you marry me?" Dusk stared at the ring for a moment before glancing at the man. "I'm only fourteen though." She said quietly as the man took her hand. "Age does not matter if it is true love." He whispered in her ear. "Come on, you take this ring and we will run away tomorrow night."

Dusk liked the thought of that. No more would she be a perfect princess, no more royalty at all. Even if it meant she had to leave her family behind, she just wanted freedom. And to really live. "Yes, I will marry you!" She cried before taking the ring and slipping it onto her finger. "We meet here in this same spot tomorrow night my love." Said the man before he pulled Dusk closer. And then their lips touched- and the deal had been sealed. Dusk excitedly hurried off leaving the man alone in the garden and in total darkness. Before the garden was lit up by a pair of red eyes, glowing in the darkness.

That night Dusk sat in front of her vanity, while brushing her long silky hair. The ring sparkled on her finger from the dim lighting of the candle inches from her. What she hadn't noticed was the red mist seeping out from under the bed, Dusk sat at her vanity humming. Completely unaware of what was lurking in the darkness. By the time she had noticed it, it was inevitable. The red mist had enveloped her as she screamed and thrashed. Then she fell silent and she could see and hear everything, but she couldn't move or speak. "Hello my love." Echoed a voice. Dusk recognized the voice instantly, it was her lovers voice. She couldn't figure out where it was coming from though. Then it hit her. And it was too late. Trying to take control of her own body she managed to scream, and dragged herself to the door...fighting. "Stop fighting." Hissed her "lover".

Dusk let out another scream, she was losing control. When she finally reached the doorknob he had won. She collapsed to the floor, as an evil laugh escaped from her lips. And once again she could only see and hear. The mind invader stood up and brushed the skirt of Dusk's nightgown. Just then the door swung open, in hopped Mid clinging to a doll. "Are you okay?" She asked with wide eyes. "Yes, my dear sister." Mid knew her sister never spoke to her like that, something felt off. "I heard you screaming." She replied as "Dusk" whipped around. "Away with you, you annoying little brat!" Mid sniffled and backed out of the doorway, and into the hallway. She knew something was wrong, but because she was such a troublemaker no one would believe her. With that she ran off trying not to cry.

Dusk on the other hand was helpless too. Even in the imprisonment of her own mind, Dusk saw everything. And she wept for it would be a very long time before she saw her little sister again. The tears streamed down her face as the mind invader wiped them away. "Stop crying." He ordered. Dusk obeyed for she had no control anymore. "Such a naive child, desperate for love." Dusk tried to block out his words, but to no avail since he was in her head after all. "You were so easy to fool, all those issues you have made you easy prey." He continued. "Now darling...you just be quiet and watch from now on." And with that the mind invader locked her away. Trapping her in the depths of her own mind. And it was as if she were just asleep. And it was like that for seventeen years...